We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off broadway suggestions

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Off broadway suggestions

There are so many off broadway shows to choose from that we are a little overwhelmed. We'd like something fun and upbeat that 3 adults would enjoy. Suggestions most welcome

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,575 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off broadway suggestions

If you don't mind some off color humor, Avenue Q is very funny, light and has been hugely popular. It was so popular that it also played on Broadway for a while. You should be able to find discounts for it on the left column of

broadwaybox.com

within a few months of your visit. Here's a link to a website that shows what the critics thought of various shows both on and off Bway.

didhelikeit.com/shows/…avenue-q-reviews.html

2 newer options that have gotten very good reviews are

Here Lies Love

didhelikeit.com/shows/off-broadway/here-lies…

and Natasha, Pierre and the Comet

didhelikeit.com/shows/off-broadway/natasha,-…

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,839 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off broadway suggestions

You're talking my favorite theater! When will you be here? -- much of off broadway comes and goes in short order

Here Lies Love is almost completely sold out by the way, unless it gets extended. I was able to get tickets for a small group of 6 but it was hard

I totally agree with whiz's other recommendations

Also:

Peter and the Starcatcher , a prequel to peter pan, don't be misled into thinking this is just a kid's show

Murder Ballad (which is closing soon) -- here's an article about both of them …nytimes.com/2013/…

Unlock'd theatermania.com/new-york-city-theater/revie… I have tickets for this week myself

Storyville at the York theater (opens July 15) http://www.yorktheatre.org/storyville.html -- almost everything the York theater does is worth seeing

For a straight play, The Weir at the the Irish Rep has gotten very strong reviews (thru aug 4)

http://www.irishrep.org/

reviewed at http://tinyurl.com/qdklz59

as has their production of Gibralter …nytimes.com/2013/…

Also, Old Jews Telling Jokes is hilarious and you don't have to be Jewish to enjoy it

oldjewstellingjokesonstage.com/index2b.html

Edited: 29 June 2013, 16:13
Mentioned in this post
York
York
Pennsylvania
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Off broadway suggestions

There is also Sleep No More, where you follow actors through different rooms to perform their act. It's very, very different from what you are used to.

Ohio
Level Contributor
9,592 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off broadway suggestions

Silence, The Musical...yes the musical satire of Silence of the Lambs! Very well done, extremely funny, off color most definitely ;)

silencethemusicalnyc.com/schedule-tickets/

Edited: 30 June 2013, 00:33
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,839 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off broadway suggestions

Thought I'd mention that I saw Here Lies Love last night and it was GREAT GREAT GREAT. If you go for tickets and they tell you that the only thing available are box seats with obstructed viewing you should take them -- we did this (and we were a party of 6) and it was fine -- in fact, it was perfect and the obstructions where a non-issue. What's more, the box seats are the ONLY seats that are, well, actual seats! All other tickets get you on the floor of the disco (the show takes place in a disco setting) where you stand for almost all of the show. And dance, and yell, etc.

Here Lies Love is really an operetta (in fact, they call it a "poperetta") -- and strictly speaking it's an opera because there's no spoken dialogue, it's all done through song. It's a political story about Imelda and Ferdinand Marco and how they came to power in the Philippines and then lost it but it does not beat you over the head with a message (though the message is there) -- it's s buoyant, loud, raucous, rambunctious, incredibly fun piece of theater.

It's been extended through July 28 only

Edited: 07 July 2013, 03:59
Mentioned in this post
Marco Island
Marco Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
6. Re: Off broadway suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 05:17