We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Le Bernardine/Daniel dress code for women

Glenwood Springs...
3 posts
Save Topic
Le Bernardine/Daniel dress code for women

I'm a college student, and I'm planning to visit my boyfriend in New York for our one year anniversary next month. He made a dinner reservation for us at either Daniel or Le Bernardine (I don't know which, it's supposed to be a surprise), and I'm trying to figure out what would be appropriate to wear.

I know the dress code for men is jacket required, so what does that mean for women? I was thinking a nice cocktail dress and heels of some sort, but I'm not sure. Any advice from those who have been to either of these restaurants (or similar ones)?

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,288 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Le Bernardine/Daniel dress code for women

Wear a nice dress or pants with a stylish top/jacket depending on the weather or your tolerance for A/C. As to heels, that's up to your preference and you comfort. No one really looks at your feet. These places are quite smart and dressing to fit makes for a nicer experience.

Edited: 01 July 2013, 06:10
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,643 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Le Bernardine/Daniel dress code for women

Yes put a lovely outfit on and have a wonderful time...do come back here and tell us about it...We went to another fancy shmancy restaurant - Per Se - which I just loved

new york
Level Contributor
949 posts
1,128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Le Bernardine/Daniel dress code for women

anything you would wear on a job interview (for a bank) not a web startup could be fine...not prom type.

enjoy

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,508 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Le Bernardine/Daniel dress code for women

I think Daniel is a bit dressier than Le Bernardin which I know doesn't help you. Sat. night you'll see women more dressy than during the week. While a cocktail dress would be fine, it's probably dressier than most NYers would get for a meal (esp a weeknight) unless they were going some place else dressy before or after. A nice dress or pants outfit with some bling is fine.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,288 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Le Bernardine/Daniel dress code for women

The LBD is always a safe bet as that can be dressed down or tarted up and still look great. You won't regret making an effort when you dine in these places.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Le Bernardine/Daniel dress code for women

A cocktail dress and heels would be fine, and may make you both feel like it's a special date. Make sure they are reasonably comfortable heels to walk in, but even if they are, a taxi may be a good idea. Heels are rarely all that comfortable as the night progresses.

Glenwood Springs...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Le Bernardine/Daniel dress code for women

I'm going on a Friday night, so how would that impact it?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Le Bernardine/Daniel dress code for women

Same advice given above. A dress and heels works.

NJ
Level Contributor
166 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Le Bernardine/Daniel dress code for women

As a college student, I think a great summer dress would be fine. I'm thinking a cotton JCrew dressier dress. Be sure to bring a cardigan or little jacket in case the air conditioning makes it a bit too cool. The shoes are up to you, but a cute summer sandal would be fine (not flip flops). Enjoy.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,051 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Le Bernardine/Daniel dress code for women

I was at Le Bernardin in December and a LBD was perfect. There was a wide range of attire. I am certainly past the age of a college student but am thinking of a cotton, eyelet dress, not sleeveless, heels and nice bling. Is this too daytime wear? Trying to wear something lightweight due to the summer heat in NYC.