We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to move in NY City?

Livorno, Italy
Level Contributor
140 posts
297 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to move in NY City?

We will be spending 4 full days and 2 half days (arrival and departure day) in NYC. We are three. The purpose of the trip is giving the feeling of NY to our 12yo daughter. So a lot of walking, and only a couple of museums.

Some friends told me that, when in nyc, they moved from one place to the other by taxi: being three people, they found it fast and convenient.

Some other friends suggested me to buy the hop on-hop off tickets for 72 hours. I had a look in a web site and got lost for the quantity of different options (different tours, possibility to add different attractions, therefore different prices...)

My NYC memories go back to 25 years ago: I was traveling with a friend and we were using the subway, but we were staying in Queens, while this time we'll be based in Manhattan. So my primary option was buying the 7 days Metro card. Now I'm not so sure... taxi? hop on hop off (and in this case, which option?) Metro card?

Please help!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,324 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to move in NY City?

The best way to get from place to place in NYC is, as your original plan--subway. The taxi is an expensive, annoying method. First of all--you get stuck in city traffic, second of all--depending upon the time of the day they are difficult to get. I would love to know how your friend found the taxi fast!

HOHO buses are poor transportation because, like taxis they too get stuck in traffic. I would ( as do most others on this site) recommend a general loop on a HOHO bus to get an overview of the city.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to move in NY City?

Subway. Get the 7 day subway pass - $31pp. The subway is by far the quickest and cheapest tranport option.

Taxis may be convenient, we took a few rides on our recent visit, but they will get expensive if you rely on them.

The HOHO buses are great for an overview of the city (ie. stay on the whole loop) but not good for actually getting around. They are slow and get stuck in traffic.

Livorno, Italy
Level Contributor
140 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to move in NY City?

Thanks a lot! I'll buy the 7 days metro card.

Concerning the HOHO: can you suggest me how to buy just one ride (entire loop) or where to find easy informations. Are there many companies offering this kind of tours?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to move in NY City?

There are a number of companies who do the HOHO buses but we did ours with Gray Line. We just bought our tickets on the street - you will see people selling them everywhere, especially around Times Square.

You don't buy a single ride or single loop, you buy a 24hr or 48hr pass and then you can do as many of the loops as you can fit in. We bought a 48hr ticket on our first full morning as we had planned to do the Uptown Loop at that time and the Night Tour the next night. Unfortunately my bf got very sick so we didn't end up doing the Night Tour.

Here is a link to Gray Line:

www.newyorksightseeing.com/tourpage.php…

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to move in NY City?

Also agree with using the subway...

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,887 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to move in NY City?

While the subway will normally be the most convenient, your unlimited Metrocards are also valid on local buses. There are times when this is more convenient, particularly on crosstown trips. Here's the Manhattan bus map.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to move in NY City?

You never see a NYer on a HOHO bus. It is simply not how we travel as they are costly and slow, slow, slow. NYers take the subway. Who knows, you may also get an underground show as part of the experience. Taxis are OK, but are quite expensive and are subject to the same above ground traffic. Nothing is more frustrating than being caught in a jam and just watching the meter spin.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to move in NY City?

Use the subway. That's an experience in itself...

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,702 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to move in NY City?

as a visitor, I can't imagine visiting NYC without using the subway. It's part of the NYC experience to me.

I have never done HOHO bus in New York City but I have in other cities and it's a nice way to get your bearings and travel above-ground if you are in no hurry. 24-hour pass will allow you to stop at a few sites and get back on the next bus. Good way to check off a few "must-sees" that are a little bit isolated from the bulk of sights on your itinerary.

10. Re: Best way to move in NY City?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 07:18