We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avenue Q and Dinner

Cromwell, CT
Level Contributor
766 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Avenue Q and Dinner

Considering the 8:00 show on a Saturday evening for Avenue Q. Any comments/reviews on the show and any recommendations concerning dinner? Are we better off eating before or after the show? Any recommendations for dinner near the Theater? And if we are to eat before the show, what time should I try to make the reservations for to give enough time to get to the show comfortably? Lots of questions, so thanks for your answers!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,947 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avenue Q and Dinner

The show is funny, fun, irreverent. Whether you eat before or after is a matter of personal preference (and logistics). I prefer eating after so I'm not full while sitting for 2 hours. I also find it's a more relaxing meal after and a nice way to talk about the show. Others find eating after 10 just too late. If you're heading back to Ct., eating after might make for too late an evening.

If you're going to eat before an 8 pm show, eat near the theater and start at 6-6:30. If you eat after the show (and are staying in Manhattan) you can really go to any neighborhood. YOu don't have to be limited to the theater district (although it's hard to find a cab after the show).

If you want restaurant ideas, tell us what kind of food and budget.

Cromwell, CT
Level Contributor
766 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avenue Q and Dinner

Wow. We're staying at the Marriott Marquis that evening, so there would be no rush after the show. I'm thinking I'd rather eat afterwards as well, so that the evening isn't as rushed. As far as types of food? Anything!!!!! And as far as budget goes, I'm not looking for "cheap" but nothing that would equal the monthly mortgage payment either... LOL

Thanks!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,947 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avenue Q and Dinner

The show is around the corner from your hotel. (almost out the side door). For a late meal, I'd either walk a block to John's pizzeria for a casual meal, or go to Joe Allen's for a burger or salad. For a more formal meal, maybe Foley Fish House in the Renaissance hotel. If you like Japanese, Kodama is down the block from the theater. It's a "local" untouristy place. You could cap off the night with a drink or dessert in your hotel. Reports are the dessert buffet at the View rest. at the top of the hotel is good. They may also have a late dinner up there. Fantastic views but the regular full meals are pricey and not worth the money.