We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how do new yorkers get around in the cold weather?

Australia
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
how do new yorkers get around in the cold weather?

We don't have very cold weather in sydney so this may appear to be a silly question.

I was wondering when its cold, how do you get around indoors when holding layers and layers of clothing that you have taken off? I cringe at the thought of holding thick jackets around with me while exploring. Are there typically lockers you can hire in shopping centers or museums?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,324 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how do new yorkers get around in the cold weather?

Museums usually have coat checks. Some large stores in Manhattan do to. ( not sure since I have never used them) When it is cold I am wearing a down coat and I hold it on my arm as I shop!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,184 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how do new yorkers get around in the cold weather?

We don't take off layers and layers of clothing. We wear, say, a teeshirt and a sweater, and then a wool coat over it. When we're inside, we hold the coat, or sometimes just wear it open. If I've been completely bundled up and will be spending some time inside, I will take off my hat, gloves and scarf and toss them in my bag. It's not the arctic circle, so you shouldn't need to wear so many layers that you have to take several off when you get inside.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how do new yorkers get around in the cold weather?

It's important to note that in December, January, & February can be pretty damn cold outside in NYC, especially if it's windy. Once you go inside to eat or shop, the heat is on and the coat comes off. Down is a great option since it's so light to carry. Unfortunately, it won't be much use in Australia - but you can keep it for subsequent trips to NYC (as NYC is beautiful during the holiday season) and/or if you visit Europe during the winter.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how do new yorkers get around in the cold weather?

If you're just going from a hotel to a museum to a restaurant it's not necessary to be bundled the same as if you're walking Central Park or going ice skating. Try not to arrange a big outdoor activity on the same day as a lot of indoor activities. But as mentioned, restaurants, museums and the larger dept. stores have coat checks.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,888 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: how do new yorkers get around in the cold weather?

if you come from an area where a winter coat is not a standard wardrobe item, you might just bring options of 3-4 layers (such as, 1 base layer/t-shirt, 2 cotton turtleneck or similar and 3 jacket) plus gloves and some sort of hat/scarf/head cover. Then take your chances by checking the weather just before your trip.

If you truly need a winter coat, you can easily get one here. If you come in after Christmas they will be on sale at a deep discount, which might be the best way to get one, if you have little use for it at home.

there are a variety of Down substitutes that are cheaper, and items with a "high-tech" insulating layer (such as Thinsulate) will be less bulky.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how do new yorkers get around in the cold weather?

There are times when it's cold enough to need a heavy coat, and you end up needing to take it off and carry it when visiting a warm store. It's a pain, but that's life.

For your layers, it helps if the heavy ones either zip or button down the front. that way you can open them if you get too warm and that may be sufficient. You may even get warm when walking around outside, especially if you are vigorously walking a distance vs just strolling around.

As others have stated, some places will have coat checks. Some restaurants may have coat hooks.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,072 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how do new yorkers get around in the cold weather?

Rather than buying a full coat, try a down or Thinsulate vest under a not so bulky coat. Your arms & legs will be a bit cold, but if you are doing a shopping trip on Fifth or Madison, you can just toss the vest in a tote while you're inside.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,268 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how do new yorkers get around in the cold weather?

Wear "silk" insulating underwear. They are thin and keep you warm under your clothes, eliminates bulky thermals. They can easily be purchased is sports shops, lingerie stores or the internet.

Yellowstone...
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how do new yorkers get around in the cold weather?

What month are you coming?

Jan,Feb,you will wish you were some where else.

Your body is used to much warmer winters then NYC.

You may feel much colder then New Yorkers Do?

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how do new yorkers get around in the cold weather?

If you're here in winter, you'll need to consider footwear also.