We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uptown Restaurants

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Uptown Restaurants

Hi all,

I will be in NYC in the next two weeks. Though I have been there prior. I used to have someone doing all the planning and taking me around. This time, I have to do some planning and more or less I am on my own.

I am using TimeOut guide in planning my trip. The way TO devides the section is somewhat confusing. They have an "Uptown" section for sightseeing but no corresponding "Uptown" section for dinning. Upper East and Upper West side = Uptown?

I am looking for upmarket restaurants for lunch that are close to the Met museum and/or Neue Galerie. Price is upward $100/per person. I am am amateurish foodie and open to all suggestions. Many thanks in advance.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uptown Restaurants

Just got home from a Guggenheim/Met outing and can highly recommend the brunch (and by extension, weekday lunch) at Cafe Boulud in 76th and Madison.

And yes, the UWS and UES = Uptown.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uptown Restaurants

Hi Kateoz,

Thanks very much. I have read about Cafe Boulud as well. I was not sure about the geographical area. Thanks for the response and clarification. :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uptown Restaurants

Hey SDWanderlust:-) There is one block on Madison Avenue between 92-93rd Streets that has about half a dozen restaurants to include www.paolasrestaurant.com/ which I personally love! Although I haven't been, there is also Le Paris Bistro, Table d'Hote, Pascalou and Vico's.. one of my personal faves on that block is Island;-) Another one that may possibly fit the bill for you is Demarchelier on 86th Street off Madison Avenue.. and why not stop in at Cafe Sabarsky while at the Neue Gallery?;-)

If on the UWS, you may want to take a look at 'Ouest' which is only open for dinner and brunch on weekends;-) Have fun.. and enJOY!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,417 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uptown Restaurants

I also reco Cafe Boulud ( French) and also like Paola (Italian) which is closer to the Guggenheim. Sabarsky inside the Neue is well regarded although I'm not a fan of the Viennese food. Coffee and pastry is wonderful though and the setting is lovely.

The members dining room in the Met is terrific, both food and setting. You might want to consider buying a membership for access. Teh Amark restaurant inside the Mark hotel is also near the Met. I am always underwhelmed but it's very popular in the neighborhood.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,569 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uptown Restaurants

For nice Italian style sandwiches try Via Quadrono on # 73rd and Madison, way below your budget, but FY: For a more upscale one, I like Sant Abroeus around Madison & 78th. As mentioned, Sabarsky has great desserts. Not to miss if it's on the menu is their version of Mont Blanc, the chestnut cake.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,214 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uptown Restaurants

Ok...my favourite topic....

We've been to Cafe Sabarsky in the Neue and love it (but we love that type of food and we were there in Winter). I don't think they take bookings at lunch time but we found that if you get there at noon the wait is fine. They have a concert series in the evenings and you can book for that if it's on during your visit (it wasn't on during our visit so we missed that unfortunately).

We also went to the Met Member's Dining Room. We went for a dinner which was OUT OF THIS WORLD (they do this on Friday and Saturday nights only from memory). We also went for brunch on my 50th birthday. It was fantastic both times. If you don't want to spend money on the Membership then another lovely spot at the Met is the Petrie Cafe...views out to Central Park....once again no bookings but if you get there at noon the queue is fine.

We also went to Via Quadronno (twice) and loved it. It's close to the Museum Mile...particularly the Whitney and Frick from memory. Great range of options and very good service.

We went to The Wright at the Guggenheim which was very good (you can book this). The cafe in the Annexe up on the 3rd (?) floor of the Guggenheim has a spectacular view over Central Park (the Jacqueline Onassis Reservoir).

And on the UWS we went to Zabars and at Morningside Heights we went to the Hungarian Pastry shop (near St John the Divine). Both these are very different to the other places but if you're on that side of the Park they are lovely....

And opposite Lincoln Centre is Bar Boulud...we were lucky to get a window table and had a magical two hours or so before the theatre looking at the beautiful Lincoln Center at night - all lit up....

Have a lovely holiday.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uptown Restaurants

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I am beyond graceful for your help and cannot wait to try some of the suggestions. :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,569 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Uptown Restaurants

YOu should also try going to the other areas of the city like Chelsea, Soho, the Village. Way more varied cuisine.

Take a look at the Forum resident Foodie's blog for great ideas:

http://eatingwithziggy.com/

9. Re: Uptown Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 06:21