We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flat rate Taxi in New York

Pittsburg, Kansas
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Flat rate Taxi in New York

We are flying into New York through LGA. Our Hiton Hotel in Jersey City (that is just right on the river) has told us that we can get a taxi at the airport for a flat rate of $45 one way and friends of another party that is going with us said that NY has started flat rate services from the airports. But I can't find anything online about it and don't want to be shocked when I get there and find it's not true...any help?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
18,958 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flat rate Taxi in New York

The only set $ flat rate for a Yellow Cab is from JFK to Manhattan

OTHERWISE as per nyc.gov link below:

Trips Beyond the City

For a trip beyond the limits of New York City, except Westchester or Nassau Counties, or Newark Airport, the fare shall be a flat rate (a flat rate is a definite amount fixed between the driver and the passenger at the start of the trip). This flat rate shall be negotiated prior to the trip and entered into the meter via the technology enhancements or TPEP system (when available) using Rate Code 5.

nyc.gov/html/…taxicab_rate.shtml

You also might look into a Car Service, which is legally different, and will quote a flat rate (plus tip and tolls) when you make a reservation.

If you search this forum, there are many opinions on which is the best car service.

If you are not heavily weighed down with luggage, there are also public transportation options.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
12,190 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flat rate Taxi in New York

I dont think there is a hilton in jersey city.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flat rate Taxi in New York

Correct a/p Kaye. No set flat-rate btwn NYC and NJ. You can negotiate....

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,526 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flat rate Taxi in New York

Your hotel is wrong. There MAY be flat rates FROM Jersey City to Manhattan or LGA (and they would be $50-100) but not from LGA to New Jersey.

1) There's no flat rate service from LGA to anywhere

panynj.gov/airports/lga-taxi-car-van-service…

2) There's certainly no flat rate taxi service from anywhere in NYC to New Jersey

3) Staying in Jersey City when you're using JFK or LGA is less than ideal.

The only way to get a flat rate from LGA to anywhere is to use a car service like

dial7.com

allstatelimo.com

and I can tell you it will be well above $45 to Jersey City when tolls and tip are included. More like $100.

I agree with kaye that a car service is a better idea where you will get a fixed price (plus tolls and tip).

note to Aerules, the Doubletree is a Hilton hotel.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flat rate Taxi in New York

They probably mean the Doubletree.

I can guarantee you that you will not get a taxi at LaGuardia Airport to take you to Jersey City for $45.

First of all, NYC taxi's are not required to go to Jersey City (even if it is just across the River). There is a $13.00 toll for the tunnel so you need to factor that in. I suspect you'll get quoted between $90. and $100.

You can prearrange a sedan with a reputable company like All State or Dial 7. www.allstatelimo.com or www.dial7.com

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flat rate Taxi in New York

Gina, do you understand that this discussion uses two different meanings of the word "taxi"? That is, as a generic term for transportation in a small vehicle, and as a legal definition of a heavily regulated service in the city of New York.

I'm sure there are some FAQ's on TripAdvisor, but the point is that a regulated taxi driver has a hard-to-get license and a lot to lose if he tries to scam you. A "gypsy cab" (that is, an unregulated vehicle) can charge anything they want, and can try to change the fare after you get in. A telephone (or internet) limo service is a little safer, but is also not regulated like a Taxi is regulated.

In New York City, no for-hire vehicle is allowed to display any yellow paint unless it is a "taxi", with a medallion riveted onto the hood, and a licensed Taxi driver at the wheel, with his/her numbered license on display on the dashboard.

That said, I use a car service to get to the airport all the time, but I always use a company I know.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
18,958 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flat rate Taxi in New York

To clarify the vocabulary a bit...

Most locals when speaking of a cab or taxi are referring to a YELLOW CAB (with medallions as noted above)

When referring to a car and driver hire service they usually refer to it as a "car service"

Both are regulated by the taxi & Limousine commission, but under different rules.

www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/about/about.shtml

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,378 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flat rate Taxi in New York

"A telephone (or internet) limo service is a little safer, but is also not regulated like a Taxi is regulated."

Just to repeat, this is not true. Licensed car services are all regulated by the TLC - the Taxi and Limousine Commision, which also regulates taxis.

Pittsburg, Kansas
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flat rate Taxi in New York

So when they are telling me to use www.allstatelimo.com or www.dial7.com that is what you are calling a car service and can be trusted? There are 6 of us and when I've looked on line for some ways to take us to our hotel it was going to cost us more than our rooms....Thanks for trying to help me...

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flat rate Taxi in New York

Yes - correct. All State and Dial 7 are what we call "car service"

I am not at all surprised that the cost of transportation from LaGuardia to airport will cost you more than your rooms. You never ever should have booked hotels in New Jersey and flights into LaGuardia. The most densely populated place on Earth (or one of the most densely populated places on Earth) is between LaGuardia and your hotel across state lines - Manhattan.

Plus, there is a very expensive toll that somebody (you) has to pay for.

There are economical alternatives but you may not like them. One economical alternative is to take a public New York City bus that runs frequently between the airport and the subway. The subway would then connect you with the PATH train which stops outside the hotel.

You'd buy a MetroCard at the airport for the City bus & free transfer to the subway. Up to four people can share a pay-per-ride MetroCard which you buy at the airport. The fare is $2.50 per person and this includes the subway and the bus. The MetroCard itself costs $1.00 each and you'd need two of them as you are six people. You can use the same MetroCard to pay for the PATH fare - another $2.25 per person. The PATH train stops right near the Doubletree in Jersey City. You can do the whole thing for $4.75 per person plus $2.00 for the two MetroCards.

The bus you'd take from the terminal at LaGuardia Airport is the Q.33 bus to the very last stop (25 minutes). You'd transfer to the Manhattan bound F train in the direction of Coney Island. The easiest transfer between the F train and the PATH train is 23rd Street / 6th Avenue. You'd board a Journal Square (JSQ) bound PATH train to Pavonia - Newport station and you'd be at the Doubletree.