We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Statue of Liberty Change in Procedures when visiting

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,050 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Statue of Liberty Change in Procedures when visiting

Thought I would make everyone aware of this notice from the National Park Service regarding procedural changes visits to Lady Liberty:

"The Security Screening Facility has been moved from Ellis Island to both of the Battery Park and Liberty State Park departure locations. The time of your ticket is now your security entrance time, not the boat departure time. After passing through security, you will board the next available boat for your trip over to Liberty Island."

Not a big deal but could skew time schedules a bit as it appears you will now be boarding the boat to Liberty Island a bit later!

Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Statue of Liberty Change in Procedures when visiting

Also, this is a heads-up for anyone doing an online booking to the Statue of Liberty and wishing to climb up to the Crown. When you visit the booking website www.statuecruises.com and click on the link to buy Crown tickets, you are taken to a page that says "Crown Access". It then asks you to select the date of your visit and then it shows the available times for "Crown Access" This is very misleading. I made the mistake of choosing 11.00 am for the "Crown Access", thinking this was the time we needed to be in the line-up at the Crown. Now I have received an e-mail from Statue Cruises to say the time on our ticket (11.00 am) is the time to enter the security screening at Battery Park, face a line up of up to an hour or more, then get the next available ferry over to Liberty Island, then get in line for security screening at the Statue. This confusion has now messed up my plans to visit the 911 Memorial site after visiting the Statue. I have written to www.statuecruises.com asking them to make it clear that buying "Crown Access" tickets at the time selection on their website is NOT the time for "Crown Access"

Edited: 08 July 2013, 23:53
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Statue of Liberty Change in Procedures when visiting

I received the same notice in my e-mail and had not read it carefully. Thanks for the heads-up. When I bought my tickets (Pedestal not Crown unfortunately), the operator told me to arrive at Battery Park an hour before my scheduled time. I'm actually glad for us to have extra hour to get to the park in the morning.

It seems like since they changed their policy, maybe they can accommodate you and change your ticket time???

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,394 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Statue of Liberty Change in Procedures when visiting

The crown tickets have ALWAYS been the boat/security time, not the time to go up to he crown, just so you know. The only change is that now they're specifically the security check time as opposed to the boat time.

Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Statue of Liberty Change in Procedures when visiting

But my point is that for a tourist that is not familiar with the local scene, the web information of "Crown Access" is mis-leading

Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Statue of Liberty Change in Procedures when visiting

No, all the times are fully booked on the day of my visit, and they are not able to change my time.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Statue of Liberty Change in Procedures when visiting

I have to agree with the tourists here. The site is not clear. It needs to clearly spell out the steps and what the times refer to.

BTW the screening was ALWAYS done at Battery Park. They wanted to move it to the Island but there was a huge amount of protest. It made no sense to allow unscreened persons on the boat. That left a huge security void!

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
107 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Statue of Liberty Change in Procedures when visiting

I would just like to clarify what photo ID they require to collect the ticket. Does this have to be your passport or would a drivers license with a photo be sufficient? Also, in the case of my children would their student ID be ok? I would prefer to not have to take passports with us for the day if can be avoided.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,630 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Statue of Liberty Change in Procedures when visiting

Dixie- you can't print the tix online? No ID required if you have preprinted tix. You just go through security.

I was there on July 5. Our timed tix allowed us to cut to the front of a long long queue to enter the security tent. That part was easy. We took a while to get to the island as I wasn't sure if boat was purposely going slow for photo ops. We also had to wait to dock as another boat was still loading.

Edited: 09 July 2013, 15:06
9. Re: Statue of Liberty Change in Procedures when visiting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 05:18