We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street Markets Manhattan

diemen, netherlands
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Street Markets Manhattan

We are visiting Manhattan in September. Would appreciate advise from TA-members that can give us some good info about when and where we can find (Saturday) Street Markets. Thanks en best regards!!! Louisa & Paul

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,805 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Street Markets Manhattan

This website reports on lots of markets, hope you can find some useful info in there: http://www.marketsofnewyork.com/

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Street Markets Manhattan

Hola.

We make (at least) weekly visits to the Union Square and the Chelsea markets when we are in town as we regularly do 90% of our food shopping at these venues.

The Chelsea Market is an indoor market. The Food Network recommends the Chelsea Market (entrance on 9th Avenue between 15th & 16th Streets) as a “one-stop, NYC culinary food shop, gourmet lover's wholesale-retail wonder world” and we agree as throughout the year we buy our fish, fruits and vegetables here. We even get our knives hand-sharpened here and purchase kitchen equipment and gadgets of every sort. In addition, there are often “sample sales” of designer clothes, shoes and gloves. We have come to know the Chelsea Market as one of the magnificent eating and food shopping experiences in the NYC.

The Union Square Market is outdoors where local farmers and ranchers bring locally grown (mostly from upstate NY, NJ and Long Island) produce, meats & fish and flowers and, consequently, what is available is highly dependent on the season of the year. Bakers and jam and cider makers and egg vendors also have a presence as do sellers of wool yarns, etc. and nearby to the Market, artists of all types of crafts set-up small stands in the Square. That said, the larger market days are on Friday and Saturday, with smaller market days on Monday & Wednesday. Also, you should know that since the Civil War, Union Square has been a focal point of political gatherings and rallies, and this is especially so these days. We love the Square as it is an exciting place to shop, speak our minds or just sit and watch historical events unfold.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,216 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Street Markets Manhattan

The markets detailed by CassaHoffa are one of the reasons I love getting a hotel with kitchen when I visit NYC. Is this the type of market you had in mind?

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Street Markets Manhattan

If you are thinking more of the Street Fairs that pop up all over the city during the summer, here are a couple of resources:

http://www.nycstreetfairs.com/sched.html.

www.nyctourist.com/st_fairs_calendar.htm

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Street Markets Manhattan

Thank you for the referral, Aynat62!

Dutch Tulips:

I publish the website www.MarketsOfNewYorkCity.com, which covers all the best things in the artisan, farmer, food and flea markets. I'd love to give you some personalized recommendations because there are some amazing markets that you will not want to miss.

What kind of things are you looking for (food, flea, designers, etc.)? Would you visit Brooklyn or Queens? (You definitely should!) Or are you more into Manhattan? (That's okay too!)

You can respond here, or email me directly at Karen@MarketsofNewYork.com. Ik spreek een beetje Nederlands ook!

I look forward to hearing from you!

Karen

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,274 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Street Markets Manhattan

Some other great markets in addition to the ones mentioned above are the New Amsterdam Market (check their site - it isnt regular, but worth visiting if it coincides with your trip - and usually on Sunday) and the Hester Street Market. Hester Street is mostly vintage clothing, small designers and a lot of food purveyors.

Then, there's Brooklyn Flea and Smorgasburg. I would plan to visit one of them.

suitcaseready.com

diemen, netherlands
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Street Markets Manhattan

Hello Aynat62!

Thanks for giving this info to us. We are really happy with it, so can start checking and see what's it all about.

Kind regards: Louisa & Paul

diemen, netherlands
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Street Markets Manhattan

Hi Matt!

Thanks for your very detailed info. This is what we really wanted to know. So sorry I cannot take all these delicious food items back to Europe with me...;-( Nevertheless we will most certainly go and see what it's all about!

Kind regards: Louisa & Paul

diemen, netherlands
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Street Markets Manhattan

Yes, for sure! We will check them all:-) Kind regards: Louisa & Paul

diemen, netherlands
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews