We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Times Square to The Statue of Liberty

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
436 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
From Times Square to The Statue of Liberty

I will be in NYC for a day, on a Sunday. I'm traveling alone and I'd like to visit the Statue of Liberty and have no idea how I would get there from my hotel in Times Square. I will just have the afternoon, is it something I could do in an afternoon? Thanks for any and all help planning this memorable event for my birthday.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Times Square to The Statue of Liberty

To visit the Statue of Liberty (as in, actually go onto the island) you need to pre-book timed tickets. The official website is:

http://www.statuecruises.com/

Keep in mind that the process for this seems to have changed, and that the time you book is the time you go through security and then you get on the next boat.

To get there you can catch the subway. Exactly how depends on exactly what hotel you're staying at

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,589 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Times Square to The Statue of Liberty

If you didn't want to set foot on the island you could take the subway (say 1 or R trains) to the ferry terminal near Battery Park and ride the free Staten Island ferry which gives good views.

Or take 42nd St. West (walk or bus) to the piers where there are various boat trips available that will pass by the statue (trips include Circle Line Liberty Cruise). Check schedules, liberty cruises take about an hour and go at 1PM or 3PM, cost $29.

circleline42.com/…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,080 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Times Square to The Statue of Liberty

Following on from Melb Traveller...if you want to go TO the island...

Yes, it is doable in an afternoon..and, I think, a lovely way to spend your birthday.

To find how to get there...the 'get directions' feature on Google Maps will help. Type in the address of where you will be departing from (your hotel) and Battery Park in the destination. You'll get options to see how to get there by car, by public transport or by walking. These are indicated by little tabs with images.

Once the option is chosen, you'll see information about how to get there and how long it will take. It's really good. For example, if you take the subway, it says which subway station to go to (and how long it will take to get there), which train to take and then where the train will take you to and how far to walk to the ferry at Battery Park. The departure point is clearly marked on the google map.

Have a great birthday.

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
436 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Times Square to The Statue of Liberty

Thank you all! I think I would like to go to the island, but making a reservation would be difficult because I'm not sure what time I will actually arrive in NYC, or at my hotel. I might know that morning which hopefully wont be to late to get an internet ticket. I'll be at the Hilton in times square. How long should I plan to spend to walk around the island? I wont be going inside. Thanks for the help! And thank you Jenny for the birthday wish!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,418 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Times Square to The Statue of Liberty

Best to get online tix to skip the lines. But if not, you can get same day walk up tix but the line can be long. We were there on july 5, 2nd day it reopened.. I was only able to get tix to the island but nothing else. We had 2p entry to security. We took our time on the island as it was very hot and humid. The trees with their shade was a god send! I think we left the island at about 4:30p after many rest, photo stops, visits to the store and ice cream stand.

I used Embark NY app on my Android phone which was very very helpful for subway planning, especially if transfers were involved.

Edited: 10 July 2013, 15:26
6. Re: From Times Square to The Statue of Liberty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 06:18