We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airbnb

2 posts
Save Topic
Airbnb

Hi all, looking to find a place in NYC to stay for a few nights in August. I've found a nice room in the Times Square area to stay for just $100+, but am unsure if I should book it since the listing just appeared this month and there are no reviews.

Should I be wary of a scam here? The apartment is pretty new and looks gorgeous, it seems hard to believe that I can rent it so cheaply. On the other hand could it be because the owner is trying to get good reviews, hence the cheap price to entice people to stay?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,901 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airbnb

Read the link at the right "Vacation apartment rentals violate NYC laws"

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airbnb

Airbnb is illegal in NYC. Plain and simple.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airbnb

Please book a hotel room.

Western Maryland
Level Contributor
250 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airbnb

nywhiz,

They claim they are not illegal. Where can one find a definitive answer? Thanks

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,901 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airbnb

Unfortunately there is no definitive way to be sure, as this is an area in the law that is evolving, taking the word of a host only, will be risky. (The attorney general has recently subpoenaed AirBNB records and other investigations are ongoing.) Some hosted rentals - that is a room within an apartment where the host is also present MAY be technically "legal" - but probably otherwise violates the building lease or condo owners rules, so are still risky. It is HIGHLY unlikely that it is completely legal, but if you post the link or address of the building it can be looked up in city records.

If you need budget accommodations, post your travel dates, budget and number of beds needed, the hotel experts here can direct you to something that is definitely legal.

Edited: 28 December 2013, 16:17
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airbnb

It's still being fought in the courts. IMO, until this is finally resolved, getting a hotel room (or a room in a hostel) is the best solution. Renting an entire apartment in a residential buliding for less than 30 days is illegal. The only issue still being debated in the courts is whether it's permissible to rent a room in someone else's apt. while they're there. Since this violates most building laws, I don't see the point in pursuing this. There are apartment style hotels if you need a kitchen; there are hostel rooms with shared bathrooms if you're on a tight budget and there are also plenty of hotel rooms just outside Manhattan a short train ride away that are less expensive than staying in Manhattan. I honestly can think of NO scenario that makes using airbnb a worthwhile gamble.

Western Maryland
Level Contributor
250 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airbnb

Thanks. We're not actively pursuing this. My wife's friend recommended AirBnb. My first response was that it was illegal. We've stayed in hotels in just about every part of they city. We love visiting the city but are seeing an unfortunate trend. Quality of the rooms and level of service is on the decline while prices are on the incline. Simply a matter of supply and demand but NYC always was consistent in providing exemplary service and quality. We're seeing it in restaurants as well. Thanks again for the reply. We were just looking for a better experience than the stays we've had lately. I've always followed nywhiz's posts so we'll stay clear if these places.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airbnb

I'd be curious to know where you've stayed. There are some hotels that are just known for good service.

hkhotels.com

kimptonhotels.com

are 2 groups that excel in service. As for prices, they rise and fall based on supply and demand, as you say. The best way to get a good deal is to pick a time when prices are low. Jan/Feb. is a great time to get hotel bargains and find more availability at restaurants and shows. ;)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,201 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airbnb

In my experience, the level of service in the city is getting better, not worse. Maybe you're eating and staying in the wrong places?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airbnb

You may be right but I have noticed that the service at McDonalds is not what it was ;-)