We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st day trip report

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
1st day trip report

We just finished our 1st day in NYC. We are a couple in our 30s with our 13 year old niece. We flew into laguardia and got a taxi to our hotel around 3:30pm. We are staying at The Marrakech on the upper west side- hotel had mixed reviews so I was expecting the worst, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The worst thing about it is there is no elevator (I was aware of this when I booked it) but it is very clean and the staff are friendly and helpful. Anyway, the cab ride took about 30 minutes and cost $42 including tip. We then got the 7 day unlimited metro cards and took the subway, which is directly outside the hotel, to Times Square ( about a 20 minute ride). Ohhhh, but let me tell You, this was close to 5:00 pm and the 1st Train that came was packed and we just couldn't fit on it so we thought it was because it was rush hour and were going to hang out near the hotel for a while but we decided to wait for one more train and it was practically empty! When we got to Times Square We just walked around looking at everything and made our way to the Carnegie Deli. Between the 3 of us we ordered 2 big sandwiches, a potato knish, a side of fries and a piece of strawberry cheesecake. This totaled $75 with tip. Oh and we just drank water. Then we walked over to 5th ave and went to Tiffany's , The Apple store and some of the other fancy stores. After that we made our way back to Times Square to see it at night, it was very busy and the 13 year old who wouldn't be caught dead doing this normally, held both of our hands so she wouldn't get lost from us. We also went into Toys R us ( the 13 year old went gaga over this but she will deny it to the end :)) we took the subway back to the hotel ( hop stop is great!) took a little rest after walking up the 5 flights of stairs to our room :/ then went to cheesy pizza on 100 & broadway (2 blocks from our hotel) and got 3 slices for $13.50. They were very good , but the 1st we've tried so far. We also got a few supplies at Duane reade across the street and went back to the hotel for the night. The hubby and niece were pooped and since the hotel room is very small and they were both wanting the lights off, I am now sitting in the tiny bathroom writing this on my iPhone so please excuse the grammar :) Tomorrow is Empire State Building , Madame Tussaud's, NBC studios and we'll see.......

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st day trip report

i hopeim wrong but i think the marrakech is operating illegally

Level Contributor
2,453 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st day trip report

Nice report.

doncaster
Level Contributor
245 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st day trip report

Great start enjoy!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st day trip report

Day 2 - Got up around 8:00am, later than we planned, went to the "Baconery" for breakfast, which was near our hotel. It was this cute little "bakery" with all things bacon. They sell baked goods,, chocolates and sandwiches all with bacon. We got 3 sandwiches (they had clever names like the Porkey Pig, the babe and so on) Mine was bacon & cream cheese, although I don't remember the name of it, the Babe was bacon egg and cheese and the porkey pig had just about everything on it. We also had a piece of chocolate covered bacon with pistachio sprinkles............ummmmmmm, AWESOME!!!!!!!!! This was about $35 with tip.

Next we headed to the Empire State Building on the Subaway, about 25-30 minutes. We had the Smart Destinations Go Select ticket, which says you can skip the line, but you only skip the ticket line. There was still about an hour line to wait in. It was very crowded but the views were nice (I know, everyone says TOTR is better) There was also a bit of a wait to go back down.

We had lunch at a little hot dog place called Papaya Hot Dogs (Not Greys). It was good enough, we got 4 hot dogs, 1 order of fries and 3 drinks for $13.50

We then walked to 30 Rock for our 3:45 NBC Studios tour (I called at 12:30 to make reservations and the 3:45 was the first available) We were about an hour and a half early so we just walked around the NBC store and then found a place to just sit and relax. The tour lasted about an hour. We saw a news studio, the SNL studio, the Today Show studio, and some of the audience got to do a newscast and the weather. Our favorite part was the SNL studio, its a lot smaller than it seems.

Next up we walked to Madame Tussuads Wax Museum. This was so much fun! Of course my 13 year old niece loved it but my husband and I had a really good time also. We took pics with everyone!

We went to Shake Shack for dinner but ended up getting it to go because it was so crowded. We got 3 burgers 1 order of fries and 3 drinks for about $32. We took this back to our hotel on the subway. The burgers were very good but we decided we might get hungry again (and really just wanted an excuse to get more pizza) so we got a whole pizza from Cheesey Pizza (again) for $20. Still very good! We called it a night after that.

Tomorrow is Staten Island Ferry for Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, 911 Memorial, Brooklyn Bridge, China Town and a fancy steak restaurant that I can't remember the name of......

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
57 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st day trip report

Great reports! Thank you for sharing your visit with all of us!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st day trip report

A hotel on the upper west side with no elevator? How many floors do you have to climb? What's the rate?

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st day trip report

Chocolate-covered bacon??? I am learning things in this trip report...

n.e. scotland
Level Contributor
431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st day trip report

you think you are learning stuff travelingguy... i have already added it to googlemaps for our holiday. ;P

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st day trip report

Hey Tarabull7575:-) You really meandored into some real local turf with the Baconery find;-)) For some great pizza, just head across the Street to Carmine's.. been around for eons and considered by numerous eatery sites as one of the 10 best in the City;-) It's only a hole in the wall with a few tables in the back.. but some great pizza.. same with Mama's on Amsterdam and 106th;-) For the largest slice in the City, head up Coronet's between 110-111th Street;-)

Don't know if you're into bagels, but you've got the best to be found up a few blocks on Broadway between 107-108th Streets at Absolute Bagels where they're made right on premises.. and usually a line;-) If looking for a morning cup of coffee and a muffin or something, head over to Silver Moon Bakery where all is made on premises as well.. on the corner of 105th and Broadway..again, usually a line to get some of that freshly baked bread, croissants, muffins, sweets, etc.. sit outside and check out the locals enjoying their nabe;-)

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st day trip report

Thanks everyone. Travelinguy, the hotel is 5 stories (of course we were on the fifth floor) it varied for each night but it was between $115 and $180 a night. I found it on kayak.com but Travelocity had the best rates. I booked in May and it was just under $600 total for 4 nights. Again, it's not fancy, the bathroom is super small, and the stairs kill after a long day of walking but i still think its worth it for the price. I think you get to see more of the local scene in this neighborhood. I looked now and the prices are over $200 so I gues it depends on when you book. As far as being illegal, I think this was brought up some years ago but has since been resolved. You can do a search on this site and find done helpful links (thanks LMVManchester!)

The info can be very confusing but you can actually call the DOB (department if buildings ) and ask any questions you have.

Traveling guy & Kazz8 - the baconery has a list of bacon rules and one of them is that everything, EVERYTHING, tastes good with bacon........they have proven this to be true:)

Litsa, I think we will definitely try Carmine's next. We passed by Absolute Bagels on our way to Tom's Restaurant today and there was a line so we knew they must be pretty good and were planning on trying it - thanks for confirming that ;)

I'm too tired to do today's report but stay tuned..........,,