We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack on your trip

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
What to pack on your trip

As I myself prepare for a trip to the southwest, I thought I would share a packing list that makes the traveling part of the trip easier.

I believe in one bag per person, preferably a carry on bag. Anything to take the "lug" out of luggage, works for me.

Clothing:

Go to your closet. Using one hand scrunch your clothes with a fist holding about 15 seconds, unscrunch. Whatever clothes don't look totally wrinkled are worthy contenders for your trip.

If you are going to be in NYC less than five days you can make do without going to the laundromat. Wear a smart pair of jeans and comfortable shirt for your plane ride. Those jeans can be the mainstay of your travel wardrobe.

Bring another pair of pants, in a neutral color like black. In hot weather bring a pair of shorts.

Bring three tops and vow to buy a new top or tee shirt on your trip.

Leave the flannel nightgown at home, shorts and a top can serve double duty as good bedtime wear

Don't skimp on underwear and socks...bring about eight pairs for a four-day trip.

For men, bring a lightweight scrunchable jacket that can do double duty for a nice restaurant or to wear on cool days.

Wear a pair of comfy shoes on the flight, bring an extra pair, and also a pair of flip flops for your hotel.

A small foldable umbrella and ultraleightweight plastic rain ponchos aren't a bad idea.

In winter--coats, scarves, hats, mittens, gloves.

Toiletries:

Take a toothbrush, small tube of toothpaste, contact lens equipment and spare glasses, a minimal amount of makeup (it must all fit in a small ziplock baggie or don't pack it), a disposable razor (or men grow a beard), a few q tips, one comb/brush, tweezers.

Don't bring: Large bottles of shampoo, soap, hair dryers. Most hotels have these, so unless you are staying somewhere that doesn't skip these.

Pack all toiletries (including your little ziplock bag of make up) in a heavy duty (freezer style) ziplock plastic bag. If anything spills it will keep it from ruining your clothing.) Also, don't pack pens in your suitcase...they are notorious for leaking.

Miscellaenous:

Pack several ziplock bags, various sizes, (take them out of the box). You can use small ones to pack sandwiches, large ones can serve to hold ice to keep drinks cold. When you get take out food or leftovers from a meal, pack the container in a ziplock bag to keep the food from spilling.

I like to take a small nightlight with me to use in the bathroom of my hotel so someone getting up in the middle of the night can see.

Earplugs have a lot of uses - If you are traveling with a snorer, your hotel is loud, or you are attending a loud concert and want to dim the amp without losing the sound.

Medications: I take two sudafed (decongestant) a half hour before I fly. My ears are prone to plugging and it keeps them unstopped. So I also bring a pack of chewing gum on the flight. Bring pepto bismol tablets (not a whole bottle), aspirin/tylenol, feminine products if needed.

Bring a list of places where you are going, inlcuding addresses and telephone numbers. Also put your credit card numbers and telephone number on it in case yours gets lost. Carry this list with you at all times in case your plans change.

On my keychain there is a small flashlight, it comes in handy.

Watch with an alarm.

Moneybelt for some men, they prefer this.

On the plane:

I carry a leather tote bag which is stylish...but also can hold some bottles of water, a magazine, a laminated map, my makeup and meds, a pen, some crackers and a small lunch in case there are issues with a longer than expected flight. (peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are my go to lunch).

I use that tote bag (it has a zipper pocket near the top where i put money and credit cards) throughout my trip in lieu of carrying a pocketbook. It's a handy way for me to carry my purchases.

My husband prefers a stylish backpack to store our lunch, waterbottles, etc...

Should I bring??:

Camera: Your choice. If you don't want the worry ther eare disposable cameras available for purchase in the U.S.

Map: If you haven't found a good one, get a plastic coated laminated one when you arrive.

Iron: Don't bring it. You shouldn't need it if you brought wrinkle free clothes...and if you need one your hotel likely has provided one in your room or has one available to you.

Bottles of water: YES. Carry them with you on your flight to prevent dehydration. Biy some when you get here and keep them in your hotel room and with you.

Food: Yes on the flight, but don't bring smelly or highly perishable stuff. Crackers, pb&j, buttered rolls, ham sandwiches, apples and pears, all travel well.

Soap/lotions/shampoo/conditioner: Most hotels provide these toiletries, so check. If you must, bring the smallest quantity necessary.

What am I missing????? What else is good to bring on a trip?

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack on your trip

Voy, your organization skills are impressive, but you've packed way too much while forgetting the most important thing. Just bring a credit card with enough wiggle room to get anything you need along the way.

Have a great trip, hope you still have computer access!

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,805 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack on your trip

Great tips Voy, but I can tell that you haven't seen my legs with the suggestion of shorts! My legs(above mid calf) haven't been seen since I was in nappies and I intend that they remain that way---less damage to the general public.Have a great trip, I was going to say Eat Well, but that would be silly wouldn't it ?

Caernarfon, United...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack on your trip

whew..... good tips :o) i have started to make a list for 'what to take' but now thanks to you i can reduce my list lol

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack on your trip

Great list - Love the "handful of clothes" tip, that's the best! I'm a big zip-lock bag packer too. I always have color copies of my drivers license, passport, and credit cards (front and back) that I keep separately from my purse in the very slight chance that my purse should get stolen. That way I have the telephone numbers to call for the CC cards. Know that's rare, but I'm a "what iffer".

Are you going to be anywhere near San Diego - if so post and let us know. Have a great trip!

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,805 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack on your trip

I forget the must packs for me. As I am as blind as a bat, I always pack a spare pair of glasses and sunglasses just in case of accidents. Never needed them yet, but I know it would if they weren'tin the bag!

Buckinhamshire...
Level Contributor
126 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to pack on your trip

Comfy shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trainers if they go with your outfit. I DIDN'T bring trainers/pumps on my trip and paid for it. the second most comfy thing after them for me were flip flops.

dublin,ireland
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to pack on your trip

some really good tips there.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to pack on your trip

LOL, Karen! I only wear shorts when I'm in the house and I know no one is coming to visit! However, if you are traveling in the summer and want to wear them in your hotel room, it's not a bad idea!

Voy--where in the Southwest are you going? Las Vegas by any chance? If so, I have to say, you must have a meal at Rosemary's--what a superb dining experience! After we ate there, I jokingly told my husband I'll never be the same again LOL!

I like the suggestion of packing a small flashlight. These days with bedbugs being a concern, a flashlight is good for doing a thorough search of the hotel room bedding.

And for NYC (or other city where you'll do a lot of walking) bring a compass. We went to Chicago last month and it came in handy--many times it prevented us from walking in the wrong direction!

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to pack on your trip

Heh heh, some good suggestions! And yeah Bettina, I wish I COULD just travel with a credit card and nothing else...but not yet...

Anyway we are going to the Grand Canyon (south rim), including stops at Monument Valley, Utah, Mesa Verde, Durango, Holbrook (The Wigwam Motel baby!!!!!!!) and a full day of pampering and treatment at a Scottsdale spa. But not till August!

I am an earlybird and took out our luggage yesterday to start packing things that I know we want to take with us.

A couple things I forgot... Safety pins/needle and thread, and a few towelettes like Handiwipes to wash hands, etc... and Shout Wipes to get rid of stains. I'm a notorious spiller.

Any of you familiar with the where we are going, I'm open to any and all ideas!!

Thanks!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to pack on your trip

We drove by the Wigwam Hotel but didn't stay there. The thing about Holbrook that stands out in my mind--- We had dinner at a steakhouse there (can't remember the name!) and the waiter asked us "Are you from New York?" My husband, our daughter and I found it to be a strange question!

Yes--moist towelettes are a must when traveling! However, I discovered that they set off the alarm when going through airport security. When we went to Chicago, I went through security and had some in my pocket. I told the TSA agent that I had taken everything out of my pockets that could trip the alarm. He then asked if I had any moist towelettes. It 's interesting because I've gone through security before without a problem while having them in my pocket. I guess the detectors are more sensitive these days!

Voy--you're going to have a great trip! I think the desert scapes of the Southwest are beautiful. When visiting the National monuments if you are in a spot where you are alone, the silence is really something!