We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LGA to Manhattan - Taxi or Dial7

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
361 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
LGA to Manhattan - Taxi or Dial7

I received a quote for Dial 7 from LGA to Manhattan (Columbia University) for $48.

Any idea if a taxi would be cheaper? I assume they usually are.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,734 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LGA to Manhattan - Taxi or Dial7

Did the quote include the toll on the RFK (Triboro) Bridge? That's now $5.33 with an EZ pass and $7.50 without. NYC taxis are required to use EZ pass rates but I'm not sure whether car services might charge you the higher non-EZ pass amount.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,837 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LGA to Manhattan - Taxi or Dial7

Dial 7 and Taxi are often roughly equivalent. Taxi will be on the meter, so it may or may not be cheaper.

When are you arriving? Traffic will be a big factor in taxi cost. Taxifarefinder.com estimates $42 - $56 depending on traffic. Very bad traffic would be more, and it's hard to predict traffic with any certainty (except knowing that it's always bad at certain times of day).

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,865 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LGA to Manhattan - Taxi or Dial7

What time of the day are you arriving and leaving? We were there last week and took a taxi to and from LGA in early afternoon. It was 40.00 with tip .

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
361 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LGA to Manhattan - Taxi or Dial7

Thanks everyone. We're arriving at 4pm.

I'm kind of feeling that if the cost will be close either way I may just hop in a taxi.

Thanks for the tip on the toll bridge!

L

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,837 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LGA to Manhattan - Taxi or Dial7

4pm on a Saturday is very different than 4pm on a summer Friday, or 4pm on a Tuesday, but a taxi is a reasonable and simple option, especially if you're not super concerned with ensuring that you know your fare in advance,.and won't be devastated if it's higher due to traffic.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LGA to Manhattan - Taxi or Dial7

Hey LadgoestoFR:-) Well if you opt for public transport, you've got one of the easiest commutes going for $2.50 via the the M60 dedicated LGA bus that stops right in front of Columbia U;-) Best.. and enJOY!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,394 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: LGA to Manhattan - Taxi or Dial7

Yeah, unless you're carrying a steamer trunk, just take the bus.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,734 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LGA to Manhattan - Taxi or Dial7

You can buy Metrocards (good on buses as well as on the subway) at the LaGuardia bus stop. But if you need to pay cash, come prepared with lots of change. You can't use dollar bills and no change is given.

9. Re: LGA to Manhattan - Taxi or Dial7

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 06:19