We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sept 4th - 9th 2013 - 5 Nights - Hotel Suggestions? Ideaa?

Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
379 reviews
Save Topic
Sept 4th - 9th 2013 - 5 Nights - Hotel Suggestions? Ideaa?

HI all,

I visited NYC in 1999,2001 & 2002, finally getting back again in September. But, i need your help all you NY Experts!!

First, can you give me a suggestion for decent hotel either in Manhatten or Brooklyn for approx $100-$150 per night? I am travelling alone, as I won a free flight in a competition!

Second, are any of the walking tours any good?

Thirdly, in my previous visits, I visited the WTC & then Ground Zero, Empire State, Bryant Park, 5th Avenue, Time Square, Also had a night out in the Irish Bars of Greenwich Vilage, and the Quay which I forget its name, but at lower manhatten. So, excluding this list, what else would you suggest I do in NYC?? How long would you allow in Central Park? Any other ideas welcome?

Fourth, any ideas of decent bars etc in NYC, with a city of such a size its like searching a needle in a haystack, so this one really needs local knowledge!

Fifth, I plan to visit Flushing Meadow, for the Tennis (supporting our lad andy murray) How do I get to Flushing Meadows from Manhatten? Also, is it fairly safe travelling the return journey late at night, as some of the games finish very late.

Thanks guys and girls for your help!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sept 4th - 9th 2013 - 5 Nights - Hotel Suggestions? Ideaa?

Walking tours - look at Free Tours By Foot.

www.freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/

My bf and I did 2 in NYC (Greenwich Village and Brooklyn Heights) and 1 in Boston earlier in May/June this year and thought they were fantastic.

Even though they're free you still need to tip. We tipped $20 per person for all tours, with $15-$20 being what most people tipped.

Edited: 16 July 2013, 10:52
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sept 4th - 9th 2013 - 5 Nights - Hotel Suggestions? Ideaa?

"I visited NYC in 1999,2001 & 2002, finally getting back again in September. ......

First, can you give me a suggestion for decent hotel either in Manhatten or Brooklyn for approx $100-$150 per night....?

No. You've got a 1999 budget. :) It's a very pricey time of year and you'll be hard pressed to find anything with a private bathroom in Manhattan at that price. The cheapest decent thing I see in Manhattan is the Cosmopolitan in Tribeca for $188/night plus tax on a prepay rate on kayak.com and travelocity for a standard room with double bed.

There's a 3* hotel on Hotwire in the downtown/Soho area for $179/night plus tax. I'm not sure what it is, but it gets a 95% thumbs up rating and I would trust that. Could be the Holiday Inn Lower East Side or the Hilton Garden Inn Tribeca.

Long Island City is the area in Queens just outside Manhattan and has a bunch of newish hotels that are typically a budget travelers delight, but because of the tennis I'm guessing, the rates there are not that much cheaper than the ones I mentioned in Manhattan or they're fully booked. Country Inn & Suites, Verve, Vetiver, Comfort Inn and Holiday Inn Manhattan View are some of the better located options if you want to have a look. They do come with breakfast included (usually just cold) but imo, for the same price, you would be better staying in Manhattan. I think the only one that's well located and still available is the Vetiver for $177 plus tax if you prepay for a double bed.

Agree that

freetoursbyfoot.com

are getting very good reviews. If you want something that's a bit edgier

accomplicenewyork.com

is part tour, part scavenger hunt and part street theater and has also been popular. There are also pub crawls you can do with a group. Here's a link with reviews

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60763-d26…

nymag.com/nightlife

will have some self guided pub crawls and lists bars by neighborhood and by type.

urbandaddy.com

is another website with lots of nightlife info. I'm sure some of the regulars like BrooklynMel and M4RKM will offer some suggestions if you're into craft beers.

You should head over to the

brooklynflea.com

on the weekend for some great food and fun. Maybe visit Coney Island. What about a baseball game?

Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sept 4th - 9th 2013 - 5 Nights - Hotel Suggestions? Ideaa?

Hi NYWhizz, you seem to know your stuff :) Okay, lets up the budget to $200 per night, and what would you personally choose? I will go with your recommendation for sure.

Also, the one question missed out was How easy/how do i get to flushing meadows from Manhatten, also is it safe as some of the games finish really late.

Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sept 4th - 9th 2013 - 5 Nights - Hotel Suggestions? Ideaa?

On last thing NYWhizz, I was offered (via my work) 2 deals on hotels - One was the the Marriott in NJ, (652 US Highway 1 and 9) - I can get a rate of $90 per night... However, in your expert opinion, would you be willing to travel back and forward?

I remember one time I stayed in NJ and my travel costs, were large, and also time consuming...I ended up using taxis, as getting to train stations involved either walknig (as we Brits do, and not recommended late at night), or via taxis. Whats your thoughts?

Also, on the flip side, in Brooklyn I have 2 deals, one at Comfort Inn Brooklyn Terminal ($100 per night) and one at Best Western Prospect park ($140 per night).

Would you just bite the bullet, and pay the higher rate, for the convenience?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sept 4th - 9th 2013 - 5 Nights - Hotel Suggestions? Ideaa?

The country inn in LIC is VERY convenient for tennis and only 1 stop from Manhattan

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sept 4th - 9th 2013 - 5 Nights - Hotel Suggestions? Ideaa?

You can easily get to Flushing Meadows by taking the 7 train from Grand Central or Times Square. It's the last stop and will take you to the Mets stadium as well. It's very safe & easy!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sept 4th - 9th 2013 - 5 Nights - Hotel Suggestions? Ideaa?

$200 is still not going to get you a much better hotel in Manhattan than the Cosmopolitan I mentioned dor $188. i'd frankly grab it. ABSOLUTELY NO on the places you listed. Look at a map! new Jersey is n the wrong side of Manhattan for getting to the tennis and the lovcations ofbthose Brooklyn hotesl aren't all that. Maybe BrooklynMel will disagree. The only hotel in Brooklyn thats ell located and usually cheap is the Super 8 in Park Slope which is $153 if you prepay or $179 if you dont. I'd personally rather do the Cosmopolitan in Manhattan.

Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sept 4th - 9th 2013 - 5 Nights - Hotel Suggestions? Ideaa?

Thanks Whiz, I will trust your judgement :) The NJ option I did one time, and really I Spend as much on Taxi's and time, as the difference between them and Manhatten ! (So, avoiding that).

So, I have got 2 hotels to choose from :) The cosmopolitan as you suggested, (Although I searched for that deal you mentioned and could not find it), or the Best Western Premier Herald Square :) (Somehow they offered me a Pre-Pay option for $159 - It looks so close to the Empire State Building, pretty central? That's is a good deal right? Itis No36 on Tripadvisor, anmd has 100% (which I have not seen before)

Do you think the Airporter is the best option from Airport to Hotel? Looks safe enough?

Also Teeter, when you say the number 7 train, you mean the metro right? (Sorry, for my questions)

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,204 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sept 4th - 9th 2013 - 5 Nights - Hotel Suggestions? Ideaa?

make sure that the quoted price includes all taxes .... or else add about 17% to the price

the Pod Hotel is available for about 941$ for your dates, not a bad choice, I think ...

but that Best Westerns gets GREAT reviews, I'd grab it for that price:

location is very central:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d3973287…

Edited: 18 July 2013, 11:08
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,204 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sept 4th - 9th 2013 - 5 Nights - Hotel Suggestions? Ideaa?

https://www.ebookers.nl/book/bookingpath…

can't find the ' english button' right now .... shared (clean!) bahrooms

actually, have a look at the Jane hotel as well, bicycles included, ask for the top floor