We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sept 4th - 9th 2013 - 5 Nights - Hotel Suggestions? Ideaa?

Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
381 reviews
Save Topic
Sept 4th - 9th 2013 - 5 Nights - Hotel Suggestions? Ideaa?

HI all,

I visited NYC in 1999,2001 & 2002, finally getting back again in September. But, i need your help all you NY Experts!!

First, can you give me a suggestion for decent hotel either in Manhatten or Brooklyn for approx $100-$150 per night? I am travelling alone, as I won a free flight in a competition!

Second, are any of the walking tours any good?

Thirdly, in my previous visits, I visited the WTC & then Ground Zero, Empire State, Bryant Park, 5th Avenue, Time Square, Also had a night out in the Irish Bars of Greenwich Vilage, and the Quay which I forget its name, but at lower manhatten. So, excluding this list, what else would you suggest I do in NYC?? How long would you allow in Central Park? Any other ideas welcome?

Fourth, any ideas of decent bars etc in NYC, with a city of such a size its like searching a needle in a haystack, so this one really needs local knowledge!

Fifth, I plan to visit Flushing Meadow, for the Tennis (supporting our lad andy murray) How do I get to Flushing Meadows from Manhatten? Also, is it fairly safe travelling the return journey late at night, as some of the games finish very late.

Thanks guys and girls for your help!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,820 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sept 4th - 9th 2013 - 5 Nights - Hotel Suggestions? Ideaa?

The $188 rate at the Cosmopolitan is no longer available. It's gone up to $209. I currently see rates at the BW Herald Square as low as $127 if you prepay. This is amazing and I would book it asap. OR, just a bit more if you don't prepay. It's on a link from kayak.com on the hotel's own website. This is either a mistake or an amazing deal. It includes free breakfast.

No, I don't recommned the Airporter, esp. if you stay at the Best Western. Use the train. Airtrain to the subway is ~$7 or AirTrain to Long Island Railroad (a somewhat faster commuter train) is ~$12.

We don't have a metro- we don't call it that. We have a subway (underground) or commuter trains and it can be confusing because people here will use the word "train" for both. Take the train can mean take the subway or take a regular train depending on the context of the trip. It's assumed you'd know which.

Btw, congratulations on winning the trip. That's got to be exciting. Which airline are you flying and what was the contest?

Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sept 4th - 9th 2013 - 5 Nights - Hotel Suggestions? Ideaa?

NYWhizz.... I just booked it, :) 5 nights $795, averaging $159 per night, (Thats Inclusive of all taxes, including breakfast, the breakdown was 4 nights at $132 & 1 night at $265) - Well worth it for the location, & 100% rating so far on trip advisor, right?? :)

Now, on the Train/Subway issue - Are you recommending a Train, or Underground from firstly JFK, to Best Western Hotel, and secondly, Hotel, to Flushing Meadows?

Regarding the competion, it is very exciting :) and a great prize, worth approx $1100-$1200 :) The contest/competiton was on EuroSports Website, it was small game in the corner of the homepage, during the African Nations Football (Soccer) Tournament. The game, fired balls at the screen, and you moved the mouse like a pair of gloves to save them. I only played the game 2 times!! :) Left my email, and they contacted me in May, to tell me I had won! :) The Airline is Brussels Airlines, part of Lufthansa Group. I am flying from Edinburgh, to Brussels, to JFK :) Great connection times also :) The prize was to be a flight to anywhere in Africa!!! But, after a chat with, Marketing Director he offered me New York instead :) A No Brainer, right? :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,820 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Sept 4th - 9th 2013 - 5 Nights - Hotel Suggestions? Ideaa?

Awesome, But NYC instead of Africa? scratching head.

Ok, you can get from JFK to the hotel by taking the AirTrain from the airport (there are stops at every terminal, just look for AirTrain signs) and then connecting to either the subway E train OR the long Island Railroad which is a commuter train. The LIRR usually costs more than the subway but will be faster. One way to get step by step directions is using google maps (which will come in very handy for all your moving around). I've done it for you (you type the trip, click the train icon on the upper left and voila)

http://goo.gl/maps/b4Nco

In this case, the first option (where it says Babylon) uses the Long Island Railroad. I wouldn't bother with the bus at the end. I'd walk or take a taxi.

The second option with the E train is the subway.

You also have the same option getting to Flushing Meadow. You can go by subway OR there are special Long Island Railroad trains from Penn station to the tennis. The #7 subway heading to Queens stops at the Tennis Center.

http://goo.gl/maps/K0MtF

or for the LIRR (which always goes to Penn station at 33 st. & 7th ave., a short walk from your hotel)

mta.info/lirr/Timetable/US_Open_Tennis_Sept4…

Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Sept 4th - 9th 2013 - 5 Nights - Hotel Suggestions? Ideaa?

Well, I will explain Whizz... The prize, was a return ticket to anywhere in Africa... But, for 2 reasons I did not want to go to Africa.......So, I asked the Marketing Manager if I could swap the destination..... He offered me flights on their direct flights (not codeshares)... so anywhere in Europe...Africa, Washington, or New York.. was my choices.......and New York, Wins !!!

Regarding the train/subway options.. Do I buy the airtrain ticket separately from the subway? Or it is a combined ticket?? If I buy, a weekly ticket, does it include the airtrain, or not?? (as I will use the Airtrain, 2 times arriving, and leaving).....

Whizz, thanks so much for the links, your a star!!

On, JFK to Hotel, would you take subway, or LIRR?? I Noticed, subway takes 50mins, LIRR takes 32mins..

On the Flushing meadow Option... more importantly... which would you take the option for ??? The subway, or the LIRR???

Finally, you seem to know your NYC, so.. could you please advise me, several nice pubs/bars, again I will trust your judgement... and if I bump into you, I will even buy you a drink, for all your help :)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Sept 4th - 9th 2013 - 5 Nights - Hotel Suggestions? Ideaa?

which airline? I must say Im finding this a little strange.

the weekly ticket doesnt include the airtrain or the LIRR - I found the subway to the tennis to be fine

Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Sept 4th - 9th 2013 - 5 Nights - Hotel Suggestions? Ideaa?

don't lose any sleep over it - I wrote earlier in the thread which airline it was, and courtesy of the Marketing Manager, I am heading to New York instead,of the intended original prize. Quality Prize, a free return flight to New York!

17. Re: Sept 4th - 9th 2013 - 5 Nights - Hotel Suggestions? Ideaa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 07:18