We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few small questions

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
A few small questions

Hi guys, I'm off on my first trip to New York in a couple of weeks to celebrate my 21st birthday (incredibly excited of course) - I had a few questions if anyone could possible help?

Firstly i'm going to be arriving at the hotel about 9pm in the evening, staying at the Eventi Kimpton (851 Sixth Avenue at 30th Street) - I imagine we will be very tired so will just pop out for a walk and find somewhere to eat - can anybody recommend anything near by as my first taste of NY?

Secondly, regarding visas, i'm fairly sure all i need to do is fill out the online form for an ESTA seeing as i'm just visiting for a week and satisfy the visa waiver criteria - is this correct? I'm a bit of a worrier so want to ensure i'm definitely filling out the correct forms, etc.

Thirdly, on our final we have about 5 hours in our schedule that are free and have decided we'd like to do something a little less touristy - I know this is lazy on my part (my apologies!) but can anybody recommend something representative of real New York?

Thanks all in advance.

Tom

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,213 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few small questions

ESTA online is sufficient, will cost you 14$

this is the one and only official site: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

5 whole hours, eh? sounds like a tight schedule, Don't worry, in the end you'll probably run out of time.

My suggestion: spend time in Bryant Park, chilling out, enjoying the fact you're in New York.

As for eating, no worries, there will be plenty of options. One of my favourites, and apparently not too far from your hotel: Bryant market at 38 x 6th, have a take-out and eat in above-mentioned park (great in the evenings as well and open till 11PM, you won't regret it!) (if you have a seat at the northern end, you have a great view of the Empire State building)

Edited: 18 July 2013, 10:32
Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A few small questions

Thanks very much for your input, that definitely sounds like a good plan for food on the first evening!

Much appreciated!

EDIT: Just realised my error, i meant about 5 hours spare on the last day before i need to get to the airport to go home!

Edited: 18 July 2013, 11:47
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few small questions

Have you already turned 21, or are you traveling with people over 21? Many hotels won't allow under 21s to check in. You better check with your hotel if it is just you and you're not yet 21.

Agree not to worry about your 5 hour gap. You'll fill it. Don't stick religiously to an hour by hour schedule. Make sure you allow time to stop and smell the roses.

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A few small questions

I'll be 21 a week before I go :) And all other group members are 21+...i'm the baby!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,178 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few small questions

On your last day with those 5 spare hours I'm sure you will have seen something that you would like to go back to. Use those last hours to do those. And there are so many things to see and do in NY that you might not even do everything you have on your list at the moment. So you might need those last few hours for those as well. I think every visitor runs out of time for on their itinerary.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,921 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few small questions

For eating near the hotel, Koreatown is nearby if you want to try some Korean food. Mandoo Bar is known for their dumplings.

www.menupages.com/restaurants/mandoo-bar/

Woorijip for noodles

www.menupages.com/restaurants/woorijip/

If you'd rather pizza, Pizza Suprema is good

menupages.com/restaurants/…

For something nicer, Pennsylvaniz 6

www.menupages.com/restaurants/pennsylvania-6/

Ayza

menupages.com/restaurants/…

Lulu & Me

menupages.com/restaurants/lulu-me-gastrobar/

Yes, the online ESTA is all you need. Use the link meyem provided.

As for a non touristy thing to do, I don't think laundry is what you have in mind. ;) But believe it or not NYers do touristy things like go to museums. Maybe a bike ride. If it's a weekend, maybe check out the

brooklynflea.com

7. Re: A few small questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 06:18