We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Visit to NYC - Must see attractions/ Things to do?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon Visit to NYC - Must see attractions/ Things to do?

Hi everyone, my fiancé and I will be spending 3 days in NYC next August as part of our honeymoon and would love to know what are the must see attractions/ things to do whilst we are there in order to make our NYC experience extra special?

Thanks x

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,009 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Visit to NYC - Must see attractions/ Things to do?

The must-sees vary from person to person based on interests and travel style. Scroll around the forum. Read proposed itineraries and trip reports to see what others are doing. Get a guide book and see what interests you. You should never be bored in NYC

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,995 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Visit to NYC - Must see attractions/ Things to do?

Next August as in 2014, more than a year away? Or THIS August as in next month?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Visit to NYC - Must see attractions/ Things to do?

August 2014

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Visit to NYC - Must see attractions/ Things to do?

Congrats! A honeymoon in New York wow.

If you really want to make you Honeymoon unforgeable I would suggest a Helicopter Tour in New York. See all the great attractions like the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building from the sky. I couldn't imagine anything more romantic than that.

visitnewyork.co.uk/new-york-helicopter-tour/

I did a helicopter tour in New York last time I was there and it was totally worth it. The experience, the sights of the Big Apple it is just magical to see it all from the sky.

doncaster
Level Contributor
246 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Visit to NYC - Must see attractions/ Things to do?

Are there things you want to see?

On the right there are quick links which will help you and the search bar.

We planned out trip a year out, a lot of people in the uk do.

Will be amazing and you have plenty of time to plan to make it perfect

L x

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon Visit to NYC - Must see attractions/ Things to do?

Thank you everyone,,, I realise it may seem like I am planning way too early but with a wedding to plan also, I need to make a start somewhere...It's all very overwhelming!!

Summer P - A helicopter tour does sound amazing, i'll make sure I look into that!

x

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon Visit to NYC - Must see attractions/ Things to do?

i dont think they are good vfm

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon Visit to NYC - Must see attractions/ Things to do?

Thank you for all of your suggestions, I'll make sure to check them all out. :) x

New York
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon Visit to NYC - Must see attractions/ Things to do?

Having lived in NY a very long time... here's what I would do...

1. Central Park is a MUST... you can rent a rowboat, you can go to the Central Park Zoo, feed the birds, fish and turtles by Bethesda fountain (the big fountain in that fairytail-sh movie with Patrick Dempsey), definitely take wonderful pictures there and maybe a ride around it by horse and carriage.

2. While there, right across the street is The Plaza hotel.. go for tea... it's like being in another world! Intimate, classy, refined, absolutely timeless ... an experience right out of a movie.

3. I say skip the bus tour... a couple of years ago I took my cousins from Italy on one and it was so boring and completely unnecessary. A real waste of time if you ask me.

4. You should really take in a Broadway show... My favorites that are currently running and will probably still be running are Jersey Boys (we've gone to see it 12 .... Yes! 12 times! Never disappoints! You'll leave the theater feeling wonderful, upbeat and genuinely happy! Wicked is also a favorite! Magical! We have seen that 3 times; although the first time with Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenowith was the best... it's still worth going to see....fascinating story about the wicked witch. I've seen Phantom, but honestly liked the movie much better than the musical, which bored me a bit. You can't go wrong with Jersey Boys or Wicked. Mamma Mia is fun, but really feels like a high school musical, imo.

5. Food.. where to start?! So many fabulous restaurants to choose from! My favorite for Italian is Fresco By Scotto.... great people watching scene... and authentic Italian comfort food! You'll feel like a star and they'll probably have to roll you out the door; the portions are that generous. Also, the entire Scotto family makes you feel like family!

6. You MUST spend an afternoon shopping on 5th Avenue... or at least window shopping on 5th Avenue! The Apple Store (right across from The Plaza hotel), Louis Vuitton (right there as well), then walking toward the lower streets you'll find Bergdorf Goodman, Harry Winston (even if you cannot afford HW, just go inside and look at the literally brilliant diamonds they have! They are visions of loveliness! I always say "nothing sparkles like a Harry Winston"... magnificent sights to behold all along 5th Avenue. How could I forget Tiffany's and Cartier?! You can also go to Saks 5th Avenue and eat lunch on the 8th floor (their shoe dept is there too...so be careful with the Mrs.... you know how we women love shoes!)...anyway, the restaurant they have there is casual and delicious. I highly recommend it! Of course as you walk down 5th, toward Saks, you'll pass by St. Patrick's Cathedral...another landmark. You can and should go in and take some pics. Beautiful.

7. Most people like to go to The Empire State Building, maybe the Freedom Tower will be complete by next year and you can go there, too. (I used to work on the Trading Floor... I have no desire to go visit The Freedom Tower... I've passed by it and it makes my heart sink. I'd want to keep things light, fun and romantic on my honeymoon...not be reminded of a tragedy in our nation. But everyone is different.

8. The Museum of Natural History is wonderful, too (train will leave you right there). Metropolitan Museum... I mean, there really is something for everyone!

9. the Statue of Liberty ... not my favorite... but I guess to say you've been there... it's nice.

I can really go on... what type of things do you like to do? What kind of food do you like? What's your budget like? I can name very expensive things, or things that don't cost much at all. What hotel are you staying at? I've stayed at several in Manhattan.

Feel free to provide more info about your likes and dislikes, so I can better narrow things down for you to do.

In any case, I hope I've helped you at least a little bit.

NYC is a GREAT place! It was my playground for over 40 years. I would be glad to assist you any way I can.

Congratulations on your engagement and upcoming wedding!

God Bless!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon Visit to NYC - Must see attractions/ Things to do?

Franbug...Your recommendations are superb! We are staying at The New York Palace Hotel on Madison Avenue. I believe it has had a major refurbishment recently. If we were to take in a Broadway Show, where would you recommend eating prior to the show? We don't want to spend a fortune when it comes to food but will probably have one 'posh' meal during our stay and then look for reasonably priced restaurants on the other two evenings and for lunch. We love Italian, American, Mexican, Tapas, British Pub type food...We're not at all fussy to be honest! Also, any nice wine bars you could suggest would be handy to know of? Thank you so much :)