We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus & subway confused

Delaware
Level Contributor
400 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Bus & subway confused

I take the subway often and have no problems. I would like to take the bus sometimes, but do you need to have a fare card before you get on the bus? So you would have to stop at a subway ticket kiosk?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus & subway confused

Metrocard good on bus and subway. Sometimes even a free transfer. just go to subway stop and get a metrocard....

Northeast us
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus & subway confused

You can pay on a bus with cash--coins only , exact fare. But if you buy a Metrocard it is good on both subways and buses. With cash you can get a bus to bus free transfer, but with a Metrocard you can also use the transfer for bus to subway (or subway to bus) And of course you can buy a Metrocard that is for unlimited use (7 or 30 day options only)

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus & subway confused

Yes, most MTA bus fares may be paid with exact cash (coins) as you enter the bus or with a Metrocard purchased at subway machines, subway kiosks or from private vendors. However, some bus fares must be paid for at street level machines which provide a paper-ticket that may need to be presented to an agent if asked-for prior to exiting the bus. The latter instances are clearly marked at the bus stops.

CH

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,734 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus & subway confused

If you use one of the "Select Bus" routes Casa Hoffa mentions in the previous post you'll still need to get a receipt even if you're using an unlimited Metrocard. There are only a few routes in Manhattan that currently use it --1st and 2nd Avenues, and 34th Street.

Delaware
Level Contributor
400 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus & subway confused

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe I'll give it a try. It always seems more complicated.

DXB, the big...
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus & subway confused

Can I clarify if you have a 7 day Metrocard you don't pay on the bus on 34th street but you need to get a paper receipt? I know we will break even with the card but as we are staying on 34th I don't want to start paying extra.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,394 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus & subway confused

Correct, you use your Metrocard to get a paper receipt at the bus stop before getting on the bus. It doesn't cost extra.

Edited: 19 July 2013, 12:56
vancouver
Level Contributor
390 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus & subway confused

How does one transfer free from bus to subway? If I use a metrocard - pay per use - and enter a bus, how will I get in free at the subway?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,394 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus & subway confused

Just swipe your Metrocard at a subway station turnstile within (I think) two hours of using it on a bus, and you'll transfer free. If you used it for more than one person on the bus (up to four) it will register transfers for that many people and will let that many through the turnstile.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
12,478 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus & subway confused

The transfer time limit is ONLY if you are using a pay-per-ride card (which can be used for multiple people)

If you have an unlimited card, transfers are included (each individual must have their own card.)