We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way to move 30 adults from JFK to Penn

Detroit
8 posts
Save Topic
Cheapest way to move 30 adults from JFK to Penn

I'm leading a group from JFK (international arrivals) to a hotel right next to Penn Station. They arrive into JFK on a Sunday afternoon. What is the (overall) best way to get 30 adults from JFK to Penn Station (low cost being a priority)?

I've read (at least for individuals), the recommendation is AirTrain to Jamaica Station, then LIRR to Penn Station. Is this also the best option for a group of 30 traveling together JFK to Penn?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,969 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest way to move 30 adults from JFK to Penn

Cheaper would be the AirTrain to the E train subway line. As long as everyone can carry their luggage, yes, it's appropriate for your group.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest way to move 30 adults from JFK to Penn

How long are they staying in NYC? Will they all buy a 7 day unlimited metrocard anyway? If yes, AirTrain to subway is indeed the cheapest option at ~$7.50/person. If no, I would price the cost of a bus.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,969 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest way to move 30 adults from JFK to Penn

If they're buying the 7-day anyway, then it's an even better deal at $5 per person. It's $7.50 per person if they're NOT buying the unlimited card.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,680 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest way to move 30 adults from JFK to Penn

Assuming it is not the Pennsylvania Hotel?

Detroit
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest way to move 30 adults from JFK to Penn

Yes, it *IS* Hotel Pennsylvania. Why?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest way to move 30 adults from JFK to Penn

It's a bit of a dump and due to be torn down

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,799 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest way to move 30 adults from JFK to Penn

Although somewhat more expensive, you can also take the AirTrain and then the Long Island Rail Road to Penn Station. You'd be traveling on a weekend day so you'd get the reduced LIRR fare of $4.00.

You'd need the AirTrain no matter what, and you can reduce your costs for this. You can buy a ten trip AirTrain ticket for $25.00. It can be used for up to four people at a time, so assuming you're also returning to the airport on the AirTrain this can be a good deal. So it reduces the effective round trip cost for the four people using one of these to $6.25 for the round trip rather than the normal fare of $5.00 for each person in each direction.

This works for multiples of four people (and you're just not using the two other trips) so you'd also need to get two more regular AirTrain tickets.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest way to move 30 adults from JFK to Penn

I read Auden's post in disbelief -- but she is right (how could I have doubted her?), that 10 trip ticket is a big savings

www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-cost-tickets.html

Scroll down to "Ride Based MetroCards"

"Purchase a $25 10-Trip AirTrain JFK MetroCard and get each ride at a 50 percent discount. " Sounds like it has the OP's name on it!

They don't seem to have it for EWR airtrain though

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,799 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheapest way to move 30 adults from JFK to Penn

I'm a "he," but that's OK!

The four person at a time limit is similar to that with unlimited Metrocards. You'd have to wait 18 minutes to use it again.

Edited: 19 July 2013, 21:11
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheapest way to move 30 adults from JFK to Penn

Traveling is the least of your problems. Please try to change your hotel.. The Penn is really NOT a good place to stay. There's a new Best Western Premier Herald Square in the same area that's got very good rates and is MUCH MUCH better.