We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Or Sumway For First Timers?

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi Or Sumway For First Timers?

My Mom and I are 18 days out from our trip to NYC. My mom wants car service from Laguardia to our hotel in Times Square. I think taking the bus to the subway station on Roosevelt, then catching the 7 line to 42nd is better and cheaper. Plus we'd get the subway experience. What should we choose? Also, should we taxi everywhere or take the subway? I've be researching the MTA and feel confident I could get us around.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Or Sumway For First Timers?

I think a cab or car service is definitely easier from LGA. But once in the city, there is absolutely no reason to cab it everywhere. Subway is economical, efficient, safe and clean.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,312 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Or Sumway For First Timers?

One caution with the hot weather. The subway stations are very hot when you are standing around waiting for a train in this hot weather. Once you get into a train, it is air conditioned. Then, of course, there is the hot weather outside.

All I am saying is that, as a frequent visitor to NYC, I take a subway most of the time. However, I do treat myself to a cab when either time is tight or the weather makes it less desirable to be on foot.

Florida
Level Contributor
632 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Or Sumway For First Timers?

I always use a car service or get a taxi from airport. Either one will run you around $30-35. After the hassle of flying, you will be ready to just get to your hotel and take a break. For first timers, I would take a taxi from the airport. It is a thrill ride in itself. You can then take the subway for your other city adventures.

Albany
Level Contributor
315 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Or Sumway For First Timers?

Once you are in the city - subway is the best, fastest, cheapest way to go. Use hopstop.com to help with navigation.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Or Sumway For First Timers?

Thanks for the quick responses and overlooking my inability to spell this morning!! I like the idea of being challenged by the hustle and bustle of the subway system.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Or Sumway For First Timers?

For a break, remember your MetroCard is also good on Public Buses

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Or Sumway For First Timers?

kateoz summed it up perfectly in the first response. You will have plenty of time to enjoy the "challenge" of the subway once you are here. However right after your flight, should you opt for public transport to Times Square, you may potentially be looking at an additional 2 hrs added to your travel itinerary. A cab would take 20 to 30 mins.

Edited: 19 July 2013, 18:48
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
13,382 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Or Sumway For First Timers?

While pubic transportation is thoroughly doable, for first time visitors with luggage, a cab is not an extravagance.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi Or Sumway For First Timers?

I would also do a cab from LGA to the airport. Then when I am here, I would use the subway the entire time.....

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi Or Sumway For First Timers?

I agree with Ter