We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grilled octopus

new orleans
Level Contributor
108 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
grilled octopus

Wife has a hankering for grilled octopus. We are staying at Omni Berkshire in Midtown. Any recommendations for a restaurant?

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,151 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grilled octopus

Milos has a sick grilled octopus. Tho I had it in their vegas location.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grilled octopus

Hola.

The best grilled octopus that we have had in NYC is at Uncle Nick's. It is Greek food at its best, complete with an open grill. The portions can be family style, or not. There are two locations; we have eaten at the one near 50th Street for many years and have always had great meals, and recently we tried the other location near 29th Street with an equal result. For more information, see: http://www.unclenicksgreekrestaurant.com

Hope this helps.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grilled octopus

Hey Greecube:-) If you're looking for anything to compare to what's available in Greece, would forgetaboutit;-) Check www.kellari.us/ in your area! There's also Molyvos.. as well as Varelli on the UWS.. you can google for info on both! You can also head out to Astoria where you'll find lots of Greece restaruants offering the infamous specialty;-) Botton line, nothing like what you'll find at a Greek isle taverna;-) EnjoY!

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,121 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grilled octopus

Octopus is beginning to penetrate non-Greek restaurants. So I'd also check Oceana (same management as Molyvos, but a higher-end experience), also closer to theater district. There are many other seafood restaurants, but I can't report on them. I've had octopus at both Milos and Molyvos, and Milos is slightly better. But it's a very expensive restaurant, that is relatively hard to get a reservation for. I do think that I've seen their octopus on the Prix Fixe, but maybe not always. And I've felt less welcome there as a Prix Fixe customer lately. For identification only (not as a curse ... ) it's a hedge fund and law firm expense-account haven, if also a superb restaurant.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grilled octopus

..you can always grab a couple of seats at the bar at Milos.. if available;-) Never had octopus there but for a simple 'meze' as octopus, bar seating would be ideal;-) They fly their fish in from Greece.. am guessing octopus may be included?;-) The Milos at the Athens Hilton Hotel is better, IMO;-) Keep enjoyin'!

Edited: 20 July 2013, 18:29
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16,091 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: grilled octopus

www.eliascorner.com/EliasCorner/Main.html

http://www.zagat.com/r/elias-corner-queens

Quick and easy ride on the N train.

Then have a beer a the beer garden across the street.

http://www.bohemianhall.com/en/Index.php

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: grilled octopus

Taverna Kyclades in Astoria is a short subway ride away. If you decide to go, get there early. They are the absolute best!!! Check out my review and photos on TA.

new orleans
Level Contributor
108 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: grilled octopus

Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

Smithtown, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: grilled octopus

Marea had Grilled Octopus that is out of this world. Central Park South.

https://1quest2thenext.wordpress.com

new orleans
Level Contributor
108 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: grilled octopus

We were thinking Greek, but I'll certainly keep Marea in mind. I checked out their menu. Looks like an excellent venue to splurge for a bite to eat.