We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I see the Mets or the Yankees?

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Should I see the Mets or the Yankees?

Hello! I'm visiting NYC in August and I want to see a baseball game while I'm there. I was wondering whether I should see the Mets vs. Phillies or the Yankees vs. Baltimore Orioles...

Now, I'm from England so I know next-to-nothing about the sport (I promise I'll learn more before I go!) so I'm not particularly bothered about which team is better (although I've heard the Mets are quite bad). I'm more interested in the experience. I know that neither of these are big games but does anyone have any tips on which would have the better atmosphere or crowd? I have heard that Citi Field is slightly better because less tourists go so there are more New Yorkers. Any ideas? Thanks!!!! :)

Cambridge, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I see the Mets or the Yankees?

Hi,

Yankees definitely for one reason - to potentially get to see the great Mariano Rivera in his last season.

I'm coming over from uk for the first week of September purely to go see a taping of the daily show ( tix reserved fri !) and to see mo Rivera walk out to Enter Sandman, so will see 5 or 6 yanks games in that week.

Recommended -go via Yankees ticket exchange to get row 1 tickets at a very good price.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I see the Mets or the Yankees?

Either game will be a good experience. You can't go wrong with either. If you don't follow pbaseball much, seeing m Rivera will

mean nothing to you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I see the Mets or the Yankees?

Either will be good. The Phillies and Orioles are located nearish to NYC so there should be good crowds at both games.

Citi Field, where the Mets play, feels more like an Anerican ball ground so it might feel more special to you. Yankee Stadium feels like any sporting stadium anywhere.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,666 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I see the Mets or the Yankees?

Either way, you'll have a great time. I'd be partial to the Yankees, because they're my Red Sox biggest rival!

Edited: 21 July 2013, 04:27
London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I see the Mets or the Yankees?

Thank you, everyone! As correct as I'm sure you are, seeing Mariano Rivera really does mean nothing to me so I think, based on the fact that Citi Field has less tourists and feels more like an American ball ground, I'm going to book to see the Mets. :)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I see the Mets or the Yankees?

^^

Good choice...

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,492 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I see the Mets or the Yankees?

Oh I would go see the Yankees for sure. They would most likely be more in contention than the Mets so the game may be more meaningful. You will not notice many or any tourists so that should not be a factor. While you are not there to see Mariano, many are and you'll feel that energy.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I see the Mets or the Yankees?

**While you are not there to see Mariano, many are and you'll feel that energy.**

...for 2/3 of an inning.....

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I see the Mets or the Yankees?

Mets.

Personally you'll be able to score a better seat for less money than a Yankees ticket.

South West UK
Level Contributor
234 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I see the Mets or the Yankees?

Just from personal experience - lucky enough to get tickets at both the Mets & Yankees since they moved to the new ballparks. have to say I preferred the Mets and Citi Field over Yankee stadium - Tickets were way cheaper and it just seemed 'more enjoyable' overall.

Really enjoyed a game at the Brooklyn Cyclones over in Coney Island (minor league) as well during a previous visit to the one mentioned above

Whichever you choose hope you have a great time

Jon B