We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this sound do-able or too hectic???

Margaret River
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Does this sound do-able or too hectic???

Travelling to NYC for a week at new year to celebrate friend's birthday... Planning the first part of our trip in the midtown area but not sure if its too much!

Day 1 - arrive get settled and look around Highline area, dine somewhere locally. Staying at the Standard Highline. Suggestion for good vegetarian restaurant in area?

Day 2 - Central park in the morning, lunch at Boathouse Cafe. We are thinking of starting afternoon at ESB, looking at UN building, then walking past Chrysler to Grand central Terminal for dinner/drinks and then TOTR for night views.

Day 3 - Friends birthday so we were thinking a SATC tour in the morning, then have an afternoon planned of pampering before heading into Times Sqaure for preshow drinks. Braodway show and then late dinner.

Day 4 - NYE! No plans as yet except for fancy dinner near Central Park and then into the park for NY celebrations. 5th Avenue?

Day 5 - move to different accomodation in Soho, Maybe walk the Brooklyn bridge in the afternoon and explore Brooklyn area.

Day 2 is my worry that we might be overdoing things? Also aware that we will need to factor in the weather...

Thanks in advance

Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does this sound do-able or too hectic???

One thing I would change - on Day 2 I would do TOTR during the day so you can see the views of Central Park and ESB at night.

I did the SATC bus tour a couple of years ago in November. If you do it, definately do the morning tour as you've listed. I did an afternoon tour and the last bit if it ended up being done in the dark.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,271 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does this sound do-able or too hectic???

I think it's an easy itinerary. Not too rushed which is good. If you do go to TOTR at night you'll see the ESB lit up right in front of you. It's a beautiful sight.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Does this sound do-able or too hectic???

If you want to go to the observation deck of both the ESB and TOTR I would suggest the other way

around. Go to the TOTR during the day and to the ESB at night! The TOTR has a really great view

of Central Park which you get an better view of during the day.

For day two I would skip the UN building and if you really want to see it, plan it for day 4?

Also for day 4 why not add some shopping :)

Near your hotel is also the Gansevoort Hotel which has a great rooftop bar.

SATC tour is great! I did it too and had a blast.

There is also the Gossip Girl Tour which I also really liked.

If your going to see the Brooklyn bridge I would suggest to take the train to Brooklyn and walk across

the Brooklyn bridge from Brooklyn to Manhattan that way you have a much better view.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does this sound do-able or too hectic???

Looks pretty good to me. Not a vegetarian restaurant, but you can easily get a vegetarian meal at Sea Thai near the Standard:

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,509 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does this sound do-able or too hectic???

Agree with Summer on the times for ESB and TOTR. Also ESB is out of the way where you have it listed. Wonder why you'd do both AND on the same day. I'd save one for the end of the trip or at least a different day. I wouldn't have dinner at Grand Central. You'll want to walk the Xmas windows at the dept. stores.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,847 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does this sound do-able or too hectic???

Your friend has the same birthday as my husband :). He's not a vegetarian but I am...in West Chelsea (near the High Line), check out veg-friendly Cookshop:

Also fully-veg Blossom:

I agree with the others that you should do TOTR by day and ESB at night, and the UN building is not worth going out of your way to see. Also, see the holiday windows as early in your visit as possible, since they'll start dismantling the displays at the New Year.

Have a fun trip!

Edited: 22 July 2013, 13:01
7. Re: Does this sound do-able or too hectic???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 06:20