We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Ferry subway station

Livorno, Italy
Level Contributor
140 posts
298 reviews
Save Topic
South Ferry subway station

I have tickets for Liberty Island, and I'm planning to get to Statue Cruises departure deck on Battery park by subway.

During the last few weeks, I have been reading tons of information on this forum. I have the impression I have read that the South Ferry subway station is not completely operational, so that one should be on the first 5 wagons to be able to get out at South Ferry... However I cannot find this information anymore, so now I'm wondering if this was true, or I just misunderstood, or the warning was about a different subway station. We are planning to get on the line 1 at 50 St. station. Thanks in advance for your help.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,513 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: South Ferry subway station

Yes, the old South Ferry Station only allows for the first five cars of a train to exit on the platform.

…mta.info/nyct/service/SouthFerryStationReop…

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,959 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: South Ferry subway station

The old station only allowed the first five cars to fit on the platform. Then they built a new South Ferry station that didn't have that problem, and everyone was happy. Then Sandy came, and destroyed the new station, and everyone was sad. Rebuilding the new station is going to take a very long time, so in the meantine they're using the old station again, so we're back to only using the first five cars.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Ferry subway station

For the most current and factual information on this matter, see:

…mta.info/nyct/service/SouthFerryStationReop…

CH

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Ferry subway station

If you don't happen to get in one of the first 5 cars (because the train was coming in just as you got there and like a true New Yorker you ran and got in the closest car), don't panic! They always hold the train at Rector Street and allow everybody who's going to South Ferry to move forward. Sometimes they also hold it at Chambers Street. Whatever you do, don't try to walk from car to car on the train while it's moving because no real New Yorker except stupid kids does that.

If you're at the end of the train it would be a public service if you told the other people in your car at Rector Street what is happening in as many languages as possible.

Edited: 22 July 2013, 19:47
NY NY
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Ferry subway station

Be sure to check the www.mta.info web site for schedule changes and disruptions, particularly nights and weekends. For example, the South Ferry-bound 1 train will not stop at 50th Street this weekend. You can also take the R to Whitehall Street or the 4/5 to Bowling Green, but check the MTA web site first!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Ferry subway station

What Outoftheinkwell sez.

Weekend subway service is crazy, so wherever you're going, check the MTA site for changes.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Ferry subway station

Agree...there are various ways to get down there if you feel uncomfortable taking the 1.

I just came from down there and took the R to Whitehall which leaves you across the street from where you need to go...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South Ferry subway station

We just returned last night and yes, you definitely have to be in the first 5 cars. We didn't know that they would wait at those two stations for us to move to the front so it was a bit stressful with my hubby and his bad knee. Each time the subway stopped, we would hop off our car and quickly walk to the next car up. We were total rookies. :) We ended up in the very front car because when it pulled in to the station it looked so long and I felt like we had a long way to move up but we really didn't. It was our first ride.

They actually have signs inside the car and they announce a number of times that you must be in the first 5 cars.

virginia
Level Contributor
14 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South Ferry subway station

No need to panic: They do announce that you need to move up to cars 1-5 if you are going to South Ferry Station and they do allow sufficient time for you to get off at Rector Station to move up to those cars. I saw the conductors looking outside the train to ensure that everyone gets onboard before the train leaves.

10. Re: South Ferry subway station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:15