We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few question regarding my intinerary - Pls :)

Ontario
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
A few question regarding my intinerary - Pls :)

My husband, our 17 yr old son and 18 yr old daughter will be flying to New York arriving at the JFK airport. I booked the Hampton Inn/United Nation (I am hoping this is a fairly decent location - the price was right) we will have about 3 - 3.5 days to tour NYC.

Day 1

Circle Line Sightseeing Cruise (Citypass)

New York Public library/Bryant Park

Grand Central Terminal

Empire State Building (Citypass)

Museum of Modern Art (Citypass)

Rockfeller Center/Top of The Rock (Citypass)

St. Pauls Cathedral

Fifth Avenue

Times Square

Day 2

Wall Street

South Street Seaport

Brooklyn Bridge

??

??

Day 3

The Dakota/Central Park

American Museum of Natural History (Citypass)

Metropolitan Museum of Art and Cloisters (Citypass)

Cathedral of St. John the Divine

I was thinking about trying to include Battery Park, Flat Iron Bldg (if in our journey it is somewhere close), Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum.and maybe a movie tour.

For the evenings we were thinking of going to a comedy club,Wicked,and maybe a Blues Club (don't know if the teens will be allowed to enter).

I am thinking it will be cheaper for us to take cabs here and there instead of publice transit since there are 4 of us your thoughts?

Any suggestions and/or changes would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Northeast us
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A few question regarding my intinerary - Pls :)

Day 3

The Dakota/Central Park

American Museum of Natural History (Citypass)

Metropolitan Museum of Art and Cloisters (Citypass)

Cathedral of St. John the Divine

Not doable in one day, You need to budget an hour each way to and from the Cloisters.

Met Museum and AMNH could be whole days for some people, but I suppose you could just pass through quickly

Day one is also really hectic and would end up being just walk-bys

"was thinking about trying to include Battery Park, Flat Iron Bldg (if in our journey it is somewhere close), Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum.and maybe a movie tour."

No time for Intrepid or a tour if you do the other stuff on your list

Did you already buy the CityPass? Many people feel that since they've spent the money on it they have to go to all the places to get their money's worth.Unfortunately it really doesn't leave time to see or experience any of the locations.

Wicked is sold out sometimes months in advance. When are you coming?

Taxis do sometimes make sense but in traffic (which can be half the day) makes it much slower than walking or taking subways.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,718 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few question regarding my intinerary - Pls :)

I agree with trava that both days 1 and 3 are far too busy.

Ontario
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few question regarding my intinerary - Pls :)

Thank you for your comments :) we are coming Aug 23 to Aug 27, I called and there is tickets for Wicked. I have not bought the Citypass tickets. Do you think I should cut some stuff out and add other stuff in or just take some stuff and have a more leisurely trip. From our hotel do you think a lot of our sight seeing is walking distance? The cloisters is worth the 1 hour there and 1 hour back...how do most people get there? Thanks again for your time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,718 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few question regarding my intinerary - Pls :)

yes to cutting things, and no to adding other things if it's your first visit...

relying only on walking will just make things slower..which might be a good thing, but contradictory to what looks like a desire to see a LOT.

Google maps 'get directions' function is great for finding out how long it will take to get from one thing to another. There are options for walking and for subway/buses...two different tabs on the screen...

The Cloisters is an hour away and I think that's one thing you could move to your 'next time' list!!!!

Northeast us
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A few question regarding my intinerary - Pls :)

And I would skip the City Pass so it will be easier for you to go to the things you really want and stay as long as you want, Now if you don't buy the Pass, what places on your list are must sees and what could you easily give up? It makes sense to group things by location, but for time intensive places like museum the Intrepid etc, don't try to fit in too much else even if other sites are nearby.

Northeast us
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A few question regarding my intinerary - Pls :)

The only site very close to your hotel is Grand Central, which is also where you can get subways to some of your locations. You'll take longer walks combined with subways and buses to get to most of the others

Do you have a good paper map? Or try to map everything out on Google maps, Once you see where things are, it will be much easier to plans and to have an idea of some places that you can easily get to only if theres time and you're in the neighborhood anyway.

CT
Level Contributor
45 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few question regarding my intinerary - Pls :)

Your hotel will be walking distance to Grand central, fifth avenue, St Patrick's (not Paul :), Rockefeller center --- all of these can be packaged together.

You can also walk across town to Times Square -- do this on your Wicked night. (Great show choice).

Downtown area --- Wall St, Seaport, Battery park, Brooklyn bridge --- I would take a cab. Also would go to Empire State Building on this day. Closer than when you are up on fifth avenue. Also, the 9/11 memorial, World Trade Center is in this area. And Chinatown/ little Italy are close. I'm not sure which tour you are taking on circle line, but you can get to Liberty island from battery park also.

I can't really speak to all the museums you have listed. I would probably only choose one, and use the found time to really see the city.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,718 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few question regarding my intinerary - Pls :)

how did this list come about...maybe cull it by asking each of the 4 of you to choose their #1 thing and also their #2 thing....then do the 4 x #1 on each of the days...and fit the #2's around that...someone will have to miss out on their second choice on your half day...

you can do some of the things on your list. This includes the Met and the MOMA on Friday night and the Met on Saturday night and the Empire State Building and Grand Central Terminal every night.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few question regarding my intinerary - Pls :)

I’ve used the CityPASS and found it good value….however I had time to do everything it covered AND a lot more sightseeing and general exploring. For a short trip I don’t think it’s worth it. Just looking at your itinerary there’s no way you can fit everything in unless it’s just a ‘see’ kind of trip, rather than an enjoy and experience one.

Some things to note to be a bit more realistic with timing..

Circle Line Sightseeing Cruise – you need to be there 45mins-1hr before your boat time to swap the pass for a ticket or buy your tickets.

Empire State Building – even with the pass, there are still queues for security and the elevators. We went at around 10pm on a Monday night in June earlier this year and still had a 45min wait between arriving and getting to the top. Queues during the day can be much longer.

The Museums – we spent about 90mins in MoMA, almost 6hrs in the MET and a bit over 4hrs at the Natural History Museum. Of course you could just spend an hour walking through each but if you’re only doing that because they’re included in the pass, I would suggest forgetting about the pass and picking just 1 museum to visit properly.

As suggested, I would seriously cull your list.

Edited: 25 July 2013, 04:04
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,963 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few question regarding my intinerary - Pls :)

You will get to your Lower Manhattan destinations (Wall Street, Battery Park, etc.) MUCH more quickly by subway than by taxi. You're right at Grand Central where you can get express trains to Lower Manhattan that will only take about 20 minutes.

If you do decide to go to the Cloisters it will take close to an hour. For some reason, the route on Google maps is not the best or the fastest. Hop Stop has the correct route. From your hotel you'd take the 7 train to Times Square and then the uptown A to 190th Street/The Cloisters. You can either walk up the hill from the station to the museum or take the bus.