We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning first time to NYC for a weekend in Sept

Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Need help planning first time to NYC for a weekend in Sept

Hi, I need advice on planning a weekend trip to NYC. My husband and I have never been to NYC and we are going to Ireland, flying out of JFK at 10 pm on a Sunday night. We figured we would go to NYC on Saturday morning and go sight seeing and spend a night on Saturday and do more sight seeing on Sunday. We would like to see times square, central park, battery park, the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building and “Ground Zero.” I have been looking at Hop on Hop Off bus tours and thinking that would be the best way to see the city. Does any one have any suggestions on where to stay or how to break the tour up? I was thinking of starting at one end of the city and staying some where near JFK, maybe somewhere that has shuttle to the airport? Since I have never been to NYC I have no idea how big the city really is or how to plan the trip. Any suggestions are appreciated, thank you in advance.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,952 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning first time to NYC for a weekend in Sept

Welcome to the Forum. You might start by reading some of the FAQs on the right that pertain to your interests. Especially the 1st question about getting from JFK to Manhattan.

Get an NYC map and you will see that JFK is not near any of the things you wish to see. For hotel help here you need to provide date and budget.

Instead of checking "Ground Zero" off your list, you might want to pay your respects at the September 11th memorial.

…typepad.com/explorenyc/…sept-11-2012.html

…typepad.com/explorenyc/2010/01/manhattan-ph…

Happy planning

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,465 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning first time to NYC for a weekend in Sept

You won't want to stay near JFK. Staying in Manhattan is ideal. If that's too pricey for your budget, there are more affordable hotels in Long Island City (Queens) and it's a very short subway trip into Manhattan. (ask for advise before you book anything there as not all LIC hotels are well located).

Where to stay is the biggest first question to arrange, as September is a popular time for NYC hotels. Post your exact dates and target budget per night in USD (feel free to say max of x, but would rather spend closer to y) and you should get some helpful suggestions.

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning first time to NYC for a weekend in Sept

For two days, you have to think of it as a highlights trip, which is a nice introduction!

Maybe look into a walking tour? We found that we were able to cover a lot of ground and tick off a lot of the sights we wanted to see in a short amount of time by doing a walking tour. We used a couple of different companies (look at "Things to Do" at the top of this screen, and then "Activities") but the only one I would recommend is City Rover, who were fantastic.

If you want to see the 9/11 memorial, you will need to book tickets ahead of time. Same for the Statue of Liberty. A quick trip to the SOL will take at least half a day, so you may want to think about a cruise to tick that "must do" off the list. We used Classic Harbor Line, but I believe Circle Line is a cheaper option. It is lovely to see New York from the water.

Maybe a Broadway show? A lovely meal? I would think about going to Top of the Rock instead of the Empire State Building. TOTR is better seen during the day.

I agree with Christnp, that staying in Manhattan is the best option. I am always seeking advice on hotels, though, so I will leave that one to the expert hotel posters!

Have a wonderful trip to NY and Ireland!

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help planning first time to NYC for a weekend in Sept

Hola.

Welcome to NYC!!

Though we have lived here for 40+ years, we still like the commercial “Hop-on Hop-off” double decker busses and once or twice a year buy a pass and “do” the City as paying tourists. We started doing this years ago due to one of our friends becoming a tour guide/narrator for one of the “Hop-on Hop-off” operators following his retirement as a teacher (a linguist). He died some years back, and fondly remember him “singing” (great voice) to the tourists and us atop the open-air busses.

Even since then, we still enjoy the rides by the operators; the biggest difference is not which operator you choose, rather it is the guide/narrator that you happen to get, and whether he/she is engaging or knowledgeable. There are times when we hop-off one bus and hop-on another (but same operator) so that we have a different guide/narrator.

We think that the rides are fun and a great venue in which to quickly get oriented, see the City's "highlights" and meet visitors from around the planet. A 2-day pass is generally enough to do all of the loops....and we really like the "night loop" with all of the City's lights..

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help planning first time to NYC for a weekend in Sept

We would need a hotel for the night of September 21 ( Saturday). I would like to keep the price range like 200's if possible? Would it be better to stay in Jersey and take subway or cab over to the city? I would love to see a musical too but I was wondering if that would take away from sight seeing. I just have no idea how to plan stuff or how close things are to see/ how much time things take? The ROCK looks awesome, the sights look amazing of the city too, thanks for suggesting that.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help planning first time to NYC for a weekend in Sept

With a budget in the $200s, you should look at Long Island City Hotels. Staying somewhere in NJ makes no sense when you're flying out of JFK. Unfortunately, Manhattan isn't an option for you as that weekend is extremely expensive due to the UN General Assembly, and Manhattan hotel rooms average $450 per night.

Here's a summary of the LIC hotels by location, as written by a former regular on this board:

The usual Long Island City hotels that we recommend based on the convenience of their locations are the Verve, the Vetiver, the Country Inn and Suites, the Quality Inn on 40th Avenue, the Holiday Inn Manhattan View, the Fairfield Inn and Suites Queensboro Bridge, the 4 Points by Sheraton Queensboro Bridge, and the Comfort Inn on Crescent Street.

Not quite as convenient, but possible, are the Ramada, the Wyndham Manhattan View, the LaQuinta (which is really in Sunnyside, and not LIC, near the 40th Street station of the #7 subway), and the Quality Inn on Queens Boulevard (which is really in Woodside, near the 52nd Street station of the #7.)

The hotels with Long Island City addresses that are not as well located (either because of distance from transportation, or noisy/ugly/ inconvenient /questionable site) are the Days Inn on Queens Boulevard, the Z, the Best Western City View, the Fairfield Inn Manhattan View on Van Dam Street, and the Queensboro Hotel.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,465 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help planning first time to NYC for a weekend in Sept

With such a short stay, I'd encourage you to spend a bit more for your one night and stay in Manhattan at a place in an interesting walking neighborhood. It's great to be able to head back to the room and relax a bit, then head out again exploring on foot. Even breakfast can be a fun adventure.

You specify $200's, not $200 (so, basically, less than $300). You should be able to get a decent Manhattan hotel for that budget. For Sept 21, there are a number of rooms at reasonably nice hotels available for < $300 and even several decent choices around the $250 mark. Check Kayak.com

Also keep in mind that you'll need to return to your hotel on you last day to pick up luggage before heading to the airport. It's nicer if it's in Manhattan.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 04:59
8. Re: Need help planning first time to NYC for a weekend in Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 07:23