We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Itinerary Help Question Sorry !!!!

Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Another Itinerary Help Question Sorry !!!!

Hi,

We are travelling to New York on Oct 29th for 4 Days staying in Times Square, we have never been before, we don't want to feel like we are being rushed off our feet all day running round trying to cram everything in, we know we won't get to see everything New York has to offer in this time so was wondering if anyone has advice to give on a small unrushed itinerary.

We would like to go to the Rockefeller Center and Central Park and my daughters were wondering if ice skating is on in Central Park at this time of the year, as it's Halloween we would like to see the parade, any advice on this would be great i.e. best places to watch etc.

We would like to visit 9/11 memorial and of course they want to go shopping, is Forever 21 any good or can anyone recommend places etc.

To see the Statue of Liberty etc are we best using the Staten Island Ferry or paying silly money for a Circle line Cruise etc

Also it seems like there are so many eateries I don't know where to start again any advice would be great.

There are 5 of us and getting around is going to be cheapest on the Subway I assume ?, I don't know whether a Metro Card is more worth it than paying for each ride as we are only there 5 days can anyone advise.

If someone has any ideas for an itinerary for us I would be pleased to hear from you, we dont really do museums just the odd bit of sightseeing, eating and shopping.

Sorry if I seem a little vague and am maybe asking to much but the the more I read all the reviews and places to go my head starts spinning and just don't seem to get any closer to deciding what to do and for the best value or experience !!!

Any Help as always is very much appreciated !!

Cheers

Sweden
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Itinerary Help Question Sorry !!!!

I used www.menupages.com a lot when I was in NYC. You can search for both areas to eat and cuisines.

doncaster
Level Contributor
246 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Itinerary Help Question Sorry !!!!

First of all you need to write down all the places you want to see.

A lot of people say its best to have one morning activity and one afternoon activity.

Then use google maps and plan your days by the area you will be in so your not traveling backwards and forwards.

Next use menu pages or yelp to find eateries, people on the forum can suggest many great places but you need to advise what your budget is and what kind of food you enjoy.

Re the subway I think the break even point on it being worth it is 13 trips person so if you think you'll do more than that in 5 days a metro card is probably your best bet (I'm sure ill be corrected if I'm wrong)

Just to give you some ideas our days go a bit like this

1 water taxi tour, Brooklyn dumbo, walk back to manhattan over Brooklyn bridge then 9/11 memorial.

Ice skating and bare burger for dinner in the evening.

2 walking tour of the village bit of shopping Katz deli and back up to Times Square. Drinks and dinner in the village in the evening

3 TOTR, walk round Central Park evening Roosevelt island tram Empire State Building

Obviously bits in between and as you can see we arnt a fan of shows or museums so we have left those out this time.

A bit like you we realize we won't do it all in one trip so we won't cram

Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Itinerary Help Question Sorry !!!!

Thanks for that, sounds like your probably same as us don't want to rush everything !

Will take a look as you say and try and get a simple plan together cheers for reply

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,374 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Itinerary Help Question Sorry !!!!

The exact opening date for the rink at Rockefeller Center is not posted yet, but I think it will be open by late October. Looks like Wollman Rink in Central Park will open at some point in October as well. Last year the ice skating rink and holiday market in Bryant Park opened on October 26th, so probably around that date again in 2013. I think you'll be good to go as far as ice skating is concerned. :)

Sounds like your daughters may be a bit older, but note that the Village Halloween Parade might not be a great choice for little kids. For options for little ones on Halloween, check out Time Out New York Kids and Mommy Poppins.

Once you've got an idea of your itinerary better mapped out, you should post it in a new thread and see if people can fine tune it a bit for you. They can also make some restaurant suggestions based on what neighborhoods you'll be in on different days, but an idea of your budget and likes (or dislikes) would also be helpful for that.

Happy planning!

Edited: 26 July 2013, 16:50
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Itinerary Help Question Sorry !!!!

Many thanks for your reply, would be great if the ice skating is up and running cheers for the info.

I say my kids are kids but yhere not there 16, 17 & 19 just can't get out of the habit of cLling dm kids !!!

I'll do as you say will sort a basic plan and see if you guys czn fine tune for me, thanks for your friendly advice.

Cheers

Northeast us
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Itinerary Help Question Sorry !!!!

To clarify one thing, the only way to pay for subway rides is with a Metrocard. You seem to be asking about the UNLIMITED card and whether it's worth it rather than a regular "pay per ride card"

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,527 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Itinerary Help Question Sorry !!!!

I would definitely get unlimited metrocards. You will run through those 13 rides to break even very quickly so it will be well worth it. You can also ride buses and the Roosevelt tram with the metrocard. It's the quickest, cheapest, and extremely safe way to get around NYC. It's also an important part of the experience. What's more New York than catching the train??

Alabama
Level Contributor
958 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Itinerary Help Question Sorry !!!!

18 yr. old daughter and I were there for 4 full days and this is what we managed to fit in:

Arrived at hotel around 5'ish after taking NJ Transit to Penn Station from Newark and taxi to our hotel on 8th Avenue. Walked (and gawked) in Times Square before eating a fast food supper because I was very tired and past needing to eat. Looked at the big Forever 21 but saved it for later. Went on Nightlights Tour on the red double-decker bus. LOVED that as an intro to the city.

Day 1 - Live with Kelly! show and it was a double-taping day so we killed the morning there. Ellen's Stardust Diner for lunch, back to room to change, TOTR, St. Patrick's (I think), then theater that night after eating supper at Junior's.

Day 2 - Financial District Tour (bought in combo with Statue of Liberty so I could get time we needed for that in order to make the timed ticket for 9/11), SOL, Ellis Island, back to 9/11 Memorial and St. Paul's Chapel, theater that night (Wicked.....we loved it).

Day 3 - Backstage Tour at Radio City Music Hall, a "street fair" for some shopping, dropped that off in the room and headed back down to the southern tip to find the "Wall Street Bull" since the tour guide wouldn't let us get in line for photo op yesterday and daughter needed a photo. Thought we would NEVER find it....and BTW, it's NOT on Wall Street! Then I remembered how we got off the subway the day before and the Bull was in front of the Indian Museum and a little park. Too late now!!! Visited Grand Central Station, peeked in Tiffany's, shopped at Urban Outfitters, and some other place that I can't think of. I think we visited the library this afternoon too. Shopped that evening at the FOUR LEVEL Forever 21 in Times Square. They are open till 2 and we left after 1. TS was UNBELIEVABLY PACKED when we tried to merge onto the sidewalk.

Day 4 - Headed straight to Macy's (where we bought a lot in jr. dept.) for 11:00 opening, DSW afterwards, dropped off purchases. Went looking for Trump Tower and had a terrible time with detours due to the Jewish parade going on; Plaza, and rode a pedicab in Central Park. Our feet and legs would go no more!!! She wanted to do the wax museum that evening, then we started straightening and packing. All that new stuff had to find a way back to Alabama! Luckily, I took a smallish, flattened duffle bag with us. It brought all the new clothes home! I even lucked out with it on the plane. We were carrying it on and they were begging to gate-check bags for free, so I jumped at the chance to lighten my load....and for free!

Departure day - Today Show, Magnolia Bakery for a yummy red velvet cupcake, then off to the airport around 10:45 via Dial 7 mini-van.

canada
Level Contributor
602 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Itinerary Help Question Sorry !!!!

My 14 and 19 year old kids loved shopping at UNIQLO. It's a Japanese H&M type store. We spent a couple hours there twice. I'm not sure where you're from, but my daughter also loves Athropologie which we don't have. There's one right across from Top of the Rock entrance.

Something else you might want to do......the kids also loved the Original Greenwich Foods of New York Food Tour we did. Combines yummy food with cultural tour.

We bought 7 day unlimitied metro passes but didn't use our "13" trips to make it worth the money. However it was nice just using them and not worrying at all about reloading or wasting subway trips.

10. Re: Another Itinerary Help Question Sorry !!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 06:20