We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions on unlimited metrocard

4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Questions on unlimited metrocard

Hi, I will be in New York for 6 days and I am on a tight student budget. I will be arriving at JFK Airport and will be going to Woodside, Queens. I'll be leaving NYC through Islip MacArthur Airport.

I will be purchasing a 7-day unlimited metrocard when I arrive at JFK Airport. I plan to avoid (as much as possible) transport that is not covered under the unlimited metrocard. I'd like to ask:

1) Will the public bus Q10 from JFK be covered under the unlimited metrocard? I plan to take that and then connect to the subway.

2) Will the bus S-57 that goes to MacArthur airport be covered under the unlimited metrocard? I plan to take the Long Island Rail Road train (I can't seem to find an alternate route covered by the metrocard) to Ronkonkoma and take the S57 to the airport.

Thanks! :)

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
141 Reviews
from US$175.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,015 Reviews
from US$83.99*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,127 Reviews
from US$57.00*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,395 Reviews
from US$37.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,509 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions on unlimited metrocard

1) yes. It looks like thebus only stops at terminal 5 which is Jet Blue. If you come in to. Another terminal, ride the Ait Train for free ebtween terminals. Not sure whe you'll find a place to buy a Metrocard. Maybe someone else can help with that.

2) No. That bus is not in NYC which is what the Metro Card covers.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,422 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions on unlimited metrocard

You will be able to use the card on the Q-10 bus, but not on the bus to MacArthur Airport. You can use the Metrocard on some bus routes in Nassau County, but you'll be traveling in Suffolk County, which isn't covered.

The Long Island Rail Road also won't be covered by your Metrocard. If you're really looking to save every penny you could take local buses and the subway to Jamaica and get on the LIRR there. This would reduce your LIRR fare slightly. As an example, the off-peak fare from Woodside to Ronkonkoma is $12.75 while it's $9.75 from Jamaica.

The bus fare in Suffolk is two dollars a ride.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions on unlimited metrocard

The Q.10 bus is great. It serves only one terminal but the JFK AirTrain is free inside the airport. You can use the JFK AirTrain for free to get to the Q.10 bus.

There are express ("Limited Stop") and local Q.10 buses. Try to get the express ("limited stop") - it saves 10 minutes. MetroCard works the same regardless whether it is a local or "limited" It originates at JFK Airport and terminates at the subway in Kew Gardens.

There is no additional charge for the Q.10 bus - simply use your unlimited ride MetroCard.

MacArthur Airport is a bit of a pain. Colonial Transportation has shuttle vans between the train and the airport. They're coordinated with the train schedule. The cost is roughly $5.00 per person each way - a bit better than the bus (but it is $3.00 more).

Rather than get the Long Island Rail Road at Woodside, you can take the subway to Jamaica and save something like $2.75 or $3.00 on your ticket to Ronkonkoma for the airport. Your unlimited ride MetroCard does not work on Suffolk County buses (Ronkonkoma and the airport are Suffolk County).

The E train hooks up with the Long Island Rail Road (and the JFK AirTrain) at Sutphin / Archer / LIRR / JFK AirTrain station. The E train and the 7 connect at 74th St. / Broadway / Roosevelt Avenue / Jackson Heights

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions on unlimited metrocard

Thanks for the excellent info and suggestions! I might just take the bus/subway to Jamaica since I have the card anyway :)

I've read that I can buy metrocards at Hudsons newsstands. May I know if they also sell the 7-day unlimited metrocard, and if there are other places at JFK airport that sell them?

Edited: 26 July 2013, 17:00
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions on unlimited metrocard

I believe there are MetroCard Vending Machines near the bus stop at JFK Airport.

I believe they sell the 7-day unlimited ride MetroCard in the airport but don't worry about it - between the machines and the newsstands, you will be able to get your MetroCard.

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions on unlimited metrocard

Thanks for your help - I hope it is available at JFK!

Would love it if someone can verify, since if I can't buy the unlimited pass at JFK, it may be worth it to take the $5 AirTrain to Jamaica, and then buy the pass there to save some time.

7. Re: Questions on unlimited metrocard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 06:20
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor