We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LIC vs Williamsburg vs Brooklyn Heights:

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
LIC vs Williamsburg vs Brooklyn Heights:

Context: I'm 29yr old guy, travelling solo from overseas and visiting NY for 7 days in october.

I don't really drink a lot or go to bars but I do like house music and there are a few clubs I want to checkout (cielo,18 Little West 12th St is one such club). I'm also a wheat/diary free eater but I like meat and everything else... Because I'm by myself, I'd imagine that I'll end up getting some stocks from a whole food type supermarket and cooking a few meals or just grabbing sushi and stuff like that.

My question is which of these areas would be best for me? I mentioned the above because restaurants and bars in close proximity are not really a factor. More so would be a healthy supermarket :) and the ability to walk home late at night safely...

LIC and Brooklyn Heights seem to have views of manhattan. Williamsburg seems to be hipster. All three seem equally close/easy to get to manhattan from so I don't know which I should be looking at..

Edited: 27 July 2013, 11:07
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,959 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: LIC vs Williamsburg vs Brooklyn Heights:

What's your budget? That'll be the biggest factor.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LIC vs Williamsburg vs Brooklyn Heights:

Not really set yet to be honest but I guess low-mid rang.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,959 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: LIC vs Williamsburg vs Brooklyn Heights:

Then Long Island City. October isn't a time for "low-mid range." You can take the subway to a fancy supermarket.

Edited: 27 July 2013, 11:40
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LIC vs Williamsburg vs Brooklyn Heights:

NYC is expensive and prices can greatly differ night by night. Unlike some other cities, dates and budget (in USD) can really impact where you can stay.

For me personally, mid range for NYC would be $200-$250, is that the type of budget you're looking at?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LIC vs Williamsburg vs Brooklyn Heights:

Yes, 200-250 Sounds about right

Edited: 27 July 2013, 11:50
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LIC vs Williamsburg vs Brooklyn Heights:

That said, I can go higher if it's going to make things better/more convenient. At this stage, budget aside, I don't even know which of the 3 is a better fit for me.

Edited: 27 July 2013, 11:59
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LIC vs Williamsburg vs Brooklyn Heights:

You should be able to get something in Manhattan if you can do $250-$300/night. To clarify - are you interested in staying in Manhattan if you can afford it, or is your preference to stay in Brooklyn or LIC?

From what I have read on the forum, Brooklyn has much more to it than LIC, but LIC is a better budget option. I would look at hotels Brooklyn. I'm sure the locals and hotel experts will be more helpful in terms of the better area and specific hotels for you.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,513 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: LIC vs Williamsburg vs Brooklyn Heights:

if you want access to cooking facilities that is a factor that changes your options

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,172 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LIC vs Williamsburg vs Brooklyn Heights:

I thought the reference to cooking facilities meant the OP was looking for an apartment versus a hotel.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,912 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LIC vs Williamsburg vs Brooklyn Heights:

The OP can find a room in a b & b with kitchenette or a suite in a suite hotel. I don't think Long Island City is a good location for you. i don't know of places with kitchens/kitchenettes in the other 2 location.

I'd say if you want kitchen facilities

West-eleventh.com

In the village or a suite at

Chelsealodge.com

or

agardeninchelsea.com/AGIC_Website/A_Garden_i…

or

The Canal Park Inn in Tribeca would be your best options.

Do you realize apts. for less than 30 days are illegal? Look at the 3 rd bullet down on the right column here.