We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is West 123 Street safe?

Winslow, United...
13 posts
Save Topic
Is West 123 Street safe?

Hi we are traveling to New York for the first time in September and we are staying at an apartment on 207 West 123 Street and was just hoping for some information about the area, is it safe? Is there good bars and restaurants near by?

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,535 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is West 123 Street safe?

What's not safe is an apartment rental.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is West 123 Street safe?

Without trying to sound obnoxious..... Didn't you read up on this issue?? The fact that it's ILLEGAL to rent out apartments to tourists is probably in the top 3 issues/warnings on the NYC forum. I've lost count of how many times visitors have been warned, strongly, to NEVER go this route. Please read what NYWHIZ posted -- and cancel your reservations immediately and then book into a legitimate HOTEL. You are truly taking a chance at being completely ripped off and arriving to that address to find out you've been scammed.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is West 123 Street safe?

your other thread refers to you booking a hotel - is that now not the case?

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is West 123 Street safe?

I am afraid I have to echo NY Whiz's reply and also have to report another address for operating an illegal hotel. While Harlem is much safer than it used to be and offers many things for tourists, I do not recommend wandering around late at night looking for bars and restaurants. It can vary a great deal from block to block.

Winslow, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is West 123 Street safe?

So I guess I found out the answer that yes West 123rd is safe in the day and night, and so is renting an apartment from Vita Condos, I am so glad I went against my better judgement and continued with the booking of the apartment after almost cancelling after some of the advice given on here, as the apartment really is fantastic and I would have no hesitation in booking again.

6. Re: Is West 123 Street safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 September 2013, 20:05
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is West 123 Street safe?

You realize that the vacation apartment rental was very likely illegal, right? Those laws are put in place to protect NYC residents. They don't take kindly to people bragging about breaking the law and getting away with it.

Winslow, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is West 123 Street safe?

I fail to see how I am bragging, I am also led to believe that it was totally legal as I did ask the question after the advice given on here

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is West 123 Street safe?

asked who?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is West 123 Street safe?

Who told you that renting an apartment in NYC for less then 30 days is legal? The people you rented the illegal apartment from?

Edited: 25 September 2013, 20:02