We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Female travelling for the first time

Melbourne...
11 posts
Save Topic
Solo Female travelling for the first time

Hi there,

Just need a little help on where to stay in New York over new years eve? I am a 25 year old female travelling to the USA for 1 month in Dec to Jan. This is my first Solo trip and first time to USA. I will be in new york from the 29th Dec to 2nd Jan 2014. I am on a tight budget so was hoping to stay in a hostel so i can meet fellow travellers.

Which hostel would be best for my stay and safe? That is sociable so i would meet others. Anyone with any recommendations? Would i need to book a hostel early?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Female travelling for the first time

Hostels here are not as social as other places but if you're looking for a bed in a dorm room, Hostelling International is good for that.. There are loads of illegal hostels operating and they're listed on all the usual websites. The YMCAs are legal. (In Manhattan, Westside and Vanderbilt) and Chelsea International.

Thepodhotel.com

Is another option

You're coming at an extremely busy and for hotels pricey time. Not sure if hostels change prices at that time but hotels certainly do. If you're planning on going to the madness that is Times Sqaure read the FAQ about it on

Timessquarealliance.com

A much saner option is going to Central Park for fireworks. If you're a runner, theres a fun race held before the fireworks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Female travelling for the first time

You might want to check Priceline or hotwire for budget options. You can get a 3 or 4 star hotel relatively cheaply through these websites. IF you try for a 3 or 4 star in a decent area, you could do very well. This is how we go to NYC. It's not always ideal--sometimes they give you what I've come to call the "priceline room" (i.e. bad view, etc.) but my feeling is the worst room in a very nice hotel is better than the nicest room elsewhere.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Female travelling for the first time

For NYE, I doubt Priceline will work. Staying in a hotel in Long island City near a subway is another option for a budget traveler.

Melbourne...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Female travelling for the first time

Thanks for all the help. I did check out hostelling international and think i might book that as its more in my price range and I like the social atmosphere at that hostel.

How is the weather in new york in December to early jan?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Female travelling for the first time

According to http://www.ny.com/general/weather.html avg temps in December range 30 to 41 F, -1 to 5 C.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,165 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Female travelling for the first time

Unless you have been to another cold city in winter, or been skiing in Oz, you might not understand how cold the weather will be, Vanessa. Make sure you have warm layers of clothes and a longish coat (below the thigh if possible), hat, gloves and scarf. The layers will keep you warmer and it means you can peel off layers when indoors because it is often over heated. For shoes it is highly recommended you have waterproof shoes or boots with a good tread because sidewalks and streets can become very slippery if it is snowing or icy. And waterproof shoes will stop your feet becoming wet. Hope you enjoy the festive vibe, and by the way, the city is safe!

Edited: 04 August 2013, 23:18
7. Re: Solo Female travelling for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 06:21