We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much construction noise is there in downtown now?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
168 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
How much construction noise is there in downtown now?

Im trying to find a hotel for 7 days in manhattan from august 28th of august for 7 nights. I'd like to stay at hyatt 48 lex but since the price for that hotel is absolutely crazy these days i thought i would stay at andaz wall street which also has a pretty crazy prize for a downtown area, really nice hotel though.

Not really what i wanted but i started looking for other hotels and read a lot of reviews from w hotel new york downtown, club quarter wall street in addition to another club quarter hotel in downtown and doubletree hilton downtown.. regarding the w hotel i can understand that there is construction noise in addition to club quarter hotel wall street but how about doubletree hilton ?

How much noise is there downtown these days from the construction sites.. everyone seems to be complaining about its and the noise.. when i stayed at the andaz a couple of years ago which is on the lower east side, away from the construction site i didnt have any problems, but im unsure about these other hotels, i wouldnt like to stay at anything else than hyatt/andaz but the prices are so high and i dont really want to take my chance at priceline since this is suppose to be a vacation.

can you recommend any good 4 star hotels aorund 2000 dollars for 7 days? ive read a lot of reviews and searched for a lot of hotels..ive been in manhattan twice but none of the good hotels seems to have anything near a reasonable price

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,957 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much construction noise is there in downtown now?

Affinia Dumont, Hyatt union Square and st. Giles Tuscany are the first 3 4* hotels that come up on a kayak.com search for your dates at $300/night or less. I'd be happy at any of them.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,957 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much construction noise is there in downtown now?

PS there are loads more options for less. The Jade in Greenwich Village is new and nice.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
168 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much construction noise is there in downtown now?

to me when looking at the pictures the jade seems really old but maybe that is its theme, old and classy or something, i dont think i would be comfortable there, i like new and modern. I have searched through a lot of hotels and havent found any good prices. 300 dollars is too much and when doing a search on keyak i get w union square for my dates for 425 dollars..

I have checked all the w hotels, do you have any experience with w hotel new york on lex? seems to have too much negative reviews though. what about the doubletree hilton downtown? Its seems to be really hard to find a good hotel for a decent price atm

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much construction noise is there in downtown now?

All of these areas are large enough that a hotel can be several blocks from construction or right next to it, different hotels will have different types of sound proofing, and even staying on a different floor or side of the building would make a difference. There are at 3 club quarters downtown and the Wall Street one is not the same as the one that is next to the WTC site construction. An Andaz on the lower east side (if there is one there--I don't know) is not the same as the one in the financial district. There is construction everywhere, and they are usually allowed to start at 7 or 8 am but most people would be up by then.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
168 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much construction noise is there in downtown now?

According to the reviews they have been doing construction after 11pm and im prretty sure i saw reviews saying they still were working at 3am. Im not planning on getting up at 7-8am when im on vacation so i guess i should look elsewhere but there only seems to be expensive 4 star hotels at this time or the 4 star hotels that have a reasonable price had to many bad reviews

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much construction noise is there in downtown now?

I believe they usually need a variance to work past 8 or 10--not sure on the specifics but you need to know if it was a regular construction project or something that was done under a variance (like emergency street work, etc.). The WTC site, Fulton transit center, other big projects probably go on whenever they want because there are so many supply trucks going in that they need to get them there overnight.

Just hope that there isn't a water main break outside your window in the middle of the night (happens on the average of twice a day/night in NYC in all neighborhoods). I understand your predicament but it's going to be hard to avoid any noise.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,148 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much construction noise is there in downtown now?

Exceed, note that nywhiz referred you not to the W Union Square but to the brand new Hyatt Union Square. Both are in a great location, as is the Jade, which is a new hotel with a retro style. The Hyatt Union Square is more modern, probably more your style...

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,989 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much construction noise is there in downtown now?

Some hotels offer noise canceling machines and/or earplugs. You can always ask the hotel before booking.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
168 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much construction noise is there in downtown now?

Ah i didnt know hyatt had a new hotel in union square, not very cheap but doable, hyatt and andaz hotels are definitely on the top of my list. thanks for making me aware of it and see that i misread

10. Re: How much construction noise is there in downtown now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2014, 05:16