We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cafes/Restaurants above the action for people watching

Bay Area
Level Contributor
583 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cafes/Restaurants above the action for people watching

The McDonald's in Times Square was mentioned in another thread for its upstairs window seating. While not a fan of McDonald's, that sounds like a fun way to spend some time, and it made me wonder about other places that might have elevated window views. I'm most interested in informal places that one could pop in and out of, rather than a dining experience, but feel free to mention those as well. Please also mention if the view is simply of the street, or it provides anything extra (i.e. park, corner view, bridge/water, etc)

Ohio
Level Contributor
9,334 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cafes/Restaurants above the action for people watching

There's an observation deck over the street on the Highline in Chelsea. I personally enjoy sitting by the fountain in the evening in Washington Square Park. Best people watching ever!

If you want to people watch in TS you can sit on the big red steps in the center of the madness.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cafes/Restaurants above the action for people watching

Here are some indoor/outdoor locations..though not "above" the action. Much better to be outside to hear and feel the sounds:

-Bryant Park(outdoors)

-Times Square seating(outdoors)

-Central Park(outdoors)

-Washington Square Park(outdoors)

-Brooklyn Promenade(outdoor) and a GREAT view of the Manhattan skyline

-Grand Central Terminal(indoors)..I see many people every day sitting on the floor off to the side watching the rush

-Bloomingdales(59th btwn Lex and 3rd-outdoors)...there is some seating right outside David Burke's restaurant..also across the street from the slick courtyard of the Bloomberg LP headquarters.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cafes/Restaurants above the action for people watching

Hola.

We have lived here for 40+ years and for people watching we still enjoy and can highly recommend the Caffe Reggiio located at 119 MacDougal Street, a little south of Washington Sq Park in the heart of the Village. This place has been around for 85+ years and we first started going there for our cappuccinos in 1970. For more information, see: http://www.caffereggio.com

We can also recommend the Union Sq Coffee Shop at the corner of 16th St & Union Square West. The Coffee Shop has most of the outdoor seating on that side of the block, including tables just across the street from the Union Sq Market….with perhaps, the best people watching in NYC, For more information:

http://thecoffeeshopnyc.com

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,917 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cafes/Restaurants above the action for people watching

It depends on the "action" you want to be above, but IMO best places for great people watching are Fred's at Barney's, the Restaurant top floor of Bergdorf Goodman, Balthazar's, Pastis: you never know who will walk in or out.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,556 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cafes/Restaurants above the action for people watching

Madison Square Park in the afternoon when the weather is nice. They have a nice, free concert series too http://www.madisonsquarepark.org/

and here is an absolutely typical photo (I know because I work across the street) …wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Madison_Square_Park…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,917 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cafes/Restaurants above the action for people watching

Sidewalk of Sant Abroeus in the village and watch the world go by. A bench by Bleecker Street Park.....

7. Re: Cafes/Restaurants above the action for people watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 05:18