We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waldorf Astoria too "stuffy" for teens?

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Topic
Waldorf Astoria too "stuffy" for teens?

Hi,

Planning a five day trip to NY for Thanksgiving this year. I am debating between taking my 15 year old twins to stay at the Waldorf Astoria or the Hilton Midtown - comments? Hilton Times Square looked good, but I heard Times Square gets "old" after a few days.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
132 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,098 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Best Seller
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from US$36.00*
Ohio
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waldorf Astoria too "stuffy" for teens?

The Waldorf has older rooms and small bathrooms. For the money you can get something roomier and more up to date. I can't help you with the Hilton Times Square because I flat out hate it there and would never want to spend a vacation fighting my way in and out of my hotel.

If you post your exact dates, bed configuration, and budget, you'll get a lot of help on here.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waldorf Astoria too "stuffy" for teens?

We (two adults) have just booked the Hilton Times Square and we actively dislike Times Square!! The reason we booked it is because we got a decent rate, the rooms have recently been renovated and a reasonable view appears to be guaranteed as the hotel starts at the 23rd floor. It's literally next to a subway station so I'm hoping we can quickly dive in and out of the hotel every day and escape the madness!

I don't know your kids but I'd imagine that the bright lights of Times Square would be quite exciting for them? I've not stayed at the Waldorf, however I've heard that the rooms are a little dated and tired. The location is great though!

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waldorf Astoria too "stuffy" for teens?

Hola.

If you can afford the Waldorf, then we highly recommend the Hotel Giraffe. We always tell our out of town friends and family that we recommend the Hotel Giraffe at 365 Park Avenue South at 26th Street. It is a boutique gem in a great location that is within walking distance to Union Square, the Village, Gramercy Park, and Soho (all to the south), midtown and Times Square (both to the north) and Chelsea (to the west) and the Meat Packing District and a grand entrance to the Highline (to the southwest).

That said, the Giraffe is at the upper end of most budgets though there are frequent specials. For more information, see:

http://www.hotelgiraffe.com

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,579 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waldorf Astoria too "stuffy" for teens?

It is just very faded, even for this senior!

new york
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waldorf Astoria too "stuffy" for teens?

I have stayed at the HIlton TS and it is a nice hotel with nice views, however, I didn't like the location - that block of 42nd street is probably my least favorite street to walk down. I have stayed at Hilton on 6th as well and it is a large convention style hotel but I like the location better.

If you give your dates and budget, you might get other suggestions.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,323 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waldorf Astoria too "stuffy" for teens?

With 16 yr old twins, a suite hotel with separate living room and bedroom would make more sense for space. Best Western Hospitality has both ane and two bedroom auites and is not far from the Waldorf and includes full bteakfast in their room rate.

7. Re: Waldorf Astoria too "stuffy" for teens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 05:18