We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad are balcony seats?

chesapeake
Level Contributor
167 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
How bad are balcony seats?

I'm paying for 3 theater tickets. We haven't chosen which show yet but I've noticed that balcony seats for some are $35 compared to around $100 give or take for orchestra. I've seen many shows in the past and have always sat in orchestra but they're not always great seats. I'm considering balcony for the price. Is it a mistake? Theaters are fairly small and I thought they were designed so that any seat had a good view. Thoughts?

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,865 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How bad are balcony seats?

We have been to many shows and prefer the balcony. We've never had a problem seeing.

chesapeake
Level Contributor
167 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How bad are balcony seats?

Thanks! Just what I wanted to hear :)

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How bad are balcony seats?

Take opera glasses or binoculars for close ups, and it's fine. Some shows that have big dance numbers or huge sets look especially terrific from the balcony. :- )

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
633 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How bad are balcony seats?

Do you really mean balcony seating or are you talking about the mezzanine?

Generally the balcony in American theaters is a third level of seating above the mezzanine and not many NYC theaters have balconies. For those that do, the quality of the view varies widely so it really depends on the theater.

On the other hand, Mezzanine seating in most theaters is fine but typically costs more than $35 unless you're getting a good discount.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How bad are balcony seats?

Hola lkloc.

Many shows are staged for folks sitting in areas above the orchestra. For which shows are you seeking tickets?

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

chesapeake
Level Contributor
167 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How bad are balcony seats?

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I believe it is balcony seats. That's what it says on TheaterMania in the price categories. It also lists Mez--often same price as Orch.

A couple of shows we're thinking of are: The Nance, First Date, Pippin (if we can get discounts) and Sonya... Wouldn't mind seeing Kinky Boots or Book of Mormon but doubt they're discounted.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
151 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How bad are balcony seats?

Just my opinion....

Most of these Broadway theaters are quite small. For example the Majestic Theater, the host of “The Phantom of the Opera” only has 1645 seats. The Gershwin Theatre (Wicked) has only 1993 seats. Compare this to “The Plex” in Denver, which has over 10,000 seats. So even balcony seats in New York Broadway theaters are relatively close to the stage.

Personally I would prefer a balcony seat in the center versus a orchestra seat toward the sides.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
633 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How bad are balcony seats?

For the shows you've listed, only two are in theaters with a balcony:

The Nance (Lyceum Theatre): The view from the balcony is okay but it's very steep. You're quite high up from the stage and if you have any issue with heights, you'll be uncomfortable in these balcony seats. Also, I don't know your dates but this show is closing on August 11.

First Date (Longacre Theatre). You have to climb a lot of stairs to get to the balcony but the view is pretty good.

The other shows you've listed are in theaters that don't have a balcony. "Vanya" does have a discount for the mezzanine but it's more than $35. No discounts for Pippin, Kinky Boots or Book of Mormon.

If you want to keep costs down, you might want to consider an Off-Broadway show.

9. Re: How bad are balcony seats?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2014, 05:18