We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice restaurant

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
112 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
nice restaurant

We're looking for a nice restaurant to take our 2 teenage girls. We don't want extremely expensive or fancy, but something nice that we could dress up for. Just regular American cuisine. We are staying on 42nd street and would like something we could walk to - midtown, upper west side, etc.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nice restaurant

WHEN? I ask because if in August, there are restaurant promotions (restaurant week) for many restaurants. How dressed up do you want to get? Is this before a show? What would the girls likely want to eat? (Are we talking burgers or steak or ???)

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
112 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nice restaurant

August 24-26. We all plan to dress up - dresses, not a suit but dress clothes for my husband. No shows planned. The girls are kind of picky - mostly regular restaurant food - pasta, bread, sandwiches, desserts.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nice restaurant

Here's a extensive list of places in Hell's Kitchen from the omnipotent Ziggy....

tripadvisor.com.au/…50879688

You don't say where you're staying on 42nd Street (East or West) but this area won't be very far - the area is over on the West

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,550 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nice restaurant

It would also help if you give a per person budget as "not expensive" is rather wide ranging. And if you want a dressed up event, you will have to go further than Hell's Kitchen. Keep reading Ziggy's blog and look into his West Village post.

I'd suggest Balthazar's in Soho, very classic French with the ever present Burger, Chicken, Steak on the Menu. Great atmosphere if you want to dress up. Some celebrity sightings are possible.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nice restaurant

I agree that Balthazar's is a good option. We went there for brunch during our trip earlier this year. It's a very nice place and nice atmosphere without being over the top fancy. You won't look out of place dressed up for dinner but it's not at the level where your husband would need to wear a suit.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,550 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nice restaurant

But if your husband wanted to, wearing a suit is perfectly acceptable. A jacket at the very least.

Another suggestion would be Buddakan, very "girly" specially for the girls who followed Sex in the City.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,105 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nice restaurant

If you like French food with a reasonably priced menu and where you get a little dressed up, go to Les Halles. I love that place! 411 Park Avenue South at 29th Street. It's close to Union Square, as well as, Grand Central Station.

If you find dinner too pricey, go for lunch. A friend and I had an amazing meal there - and we were served great wine! To me, finding a restaurant that serves good wine in NYC is like finding the winning lottery numbers(!). I've eaten across Manhattan over the years and several spots in Brooklyn, with a good bill at the end of the night. And the wine just su**ed. I grew up in California and have travelled a lot through Europe, but it's amazing to me to eat a fabulous meal while they serve crap wine.

All this to say, great food at Les Halles and reasonable prices. I hope you have an amazing time in NYC!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
112 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nice restaurant

Thanks for the suggestions so far. We have been to NYC several times but have never planned ahead where we would like to eat. So we wanted to do research this time. I figure about $25 each for dinner is ok, I just don't want to spend more than that on the girls who are picky eaters. We were just looking for something a little more special than just dropping in on some casual place and having pizza or something.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,550 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nice restaurant

Could be tight with some of these places when you add drinks (even soft drinks and juice) and tip. But check out menupages or the restaurants' websites for prices. If indeed your girls have bird size appetite they can probably get away with just the main course.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,105 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nice restaurant

You need to increase your meal budget - a lot - for NYC. $25 for dinner at a restaurant where you have to dress up isn't possible on that budget. $25 for dinner is closer to pizza, rather than a sit down meal. NYC isn't cheap. For example, a pastrami sandwich and a water or soda at a busy deli with four lines of people trying to order (Katz's, for example) will cost more than $25 per person.

Edited: 02 August 2013, 02:11