We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollar Coins

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Dollar Coins

I am on my way to NYC in 5 weeks, yay!

A friend gave me a bag of coins she no longer wanted. In the bag, there are some Dollar coins. I have been to New York on 3 occasions previously and i have never seen Dollar coins!

I was wondering if these are still legal tender?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollar Coins

Yes.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,272 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollar Coins

Agree ... The are used.

In Boston the subway ticket vending machines give those back as change. The is a bit of a push now to get rid of the paper $1 bills in favor of the longer-lasting coins

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollar Coins

Thanks for the reply 😀

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,413 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollar Coins

They are still legal tender, but some Americans have never seen one because there are relatively few in circulation. They've tried to introduce dollar coins here several times, but failed because people just don't like them.

Be aware that if you pay cash at a Metrocard machine you will get your change in dollar coins, but are unlikely to encounter them anywhere else.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollar Coins

Interesting story.

A few years ago we were on queue at our bank in NYC. A woman in front of us told the bank teller that she wanted to deposit dollar coins into her account. The bank teller looked at the coins and recognized them as silver coins (worth many times the value of a USD bill). That said, we must ask the OP (BigWednesday), "To what types of coins do you refer?" Please advise.

CH

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,272 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollar Coins

Good point CasaHoffa ... I was a bank teller in the in the early 80s when silver was high ... if they are Real silver (or mostly real silver) coins they are worth more as 'scrap metal' than $1.

The Susan B Anthony coins (quarter-sized from the 70s and 80s) are still in use,and the $1 "golden" Sakagewea (spelling) coin is in use. I think there was one in between them that may still be in use, too. I don't remember.

…cnn.com/2013/07/26/pf/dollar-coin/index.html

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,413 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollar Coins

Good story Casa,

Most likely you have recent dollar coins that are only worth face value.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…29

When I was a kid (oh so long ago) we would visit relatives in Montana and you would get change in real silver dollars. Not sure what the weight in silver was, but these days they seem to go for about $25 and up.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,234 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dollar Coins

If they are silver dollars of pre-1964 or earlier then they are worth much more than a dollar. Even the Eisenhower dollar coins of 1971 to 1976 are 40% silver and worth about $6 each. If they are the Susan B. Anthony or Sacagawea dollar coins then they are worth face value.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dollar Coins

While dollar coins make sense from a pure financial sense (i.e. the cost of use and wear and tear on dollar bills), they are not very popular here in the US. The reason is that coins are somewhat annoying to carry around in your pocket. They are not as popular as the denomination coins in Europe or Canada.

Even though they are legal tender in the US, I would venture to say that most people do not like getting them as change. Frankly, if I were given a bag of dollar coins (I know you only received a few), I'd likely head into a bank and get them changed to bills (but not go out of my way).

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dollar Coins

I have about 9 of them sitting in a case on my dresser where I keep my cufflinks.....

Agree with everyone, I would rather have dollar bills!