We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must have eats

Ireland
Level Contributor
587 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Must have eats

What is your one food item that you must have when you visit and from where

like ice cream from a certain place or stuff like that

i dont want to make dinner reservations anywhere months in advance but say if I was in a certain area to just pick something up what would it be...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must have eats

Well, if you have the time and patience and the luck to get one: the CRONUT! Good luck in that.

…eater.com/archives/2013/08/the_cronut_line_…

Personally, I like having lobster rolls. Lot's of good places for that. Many here prefer Luke's. I like Mary's.

As to popping into somewhere you happen to be, it's the luck of the draw. But the "must eats" may require reservations. Or you can try the absolutely No Reservation joints like Mission Chinese Food in the Lower East Side and line up with the throngs.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
392 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must have eats

My must eat is a good bowl of matzo ball!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,160 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must have eats

Mamaliga

Ramen

Gefilte fish

You must!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,815 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must have eats

I have a few 'must haves' on my list but one thing I like to do when visiting a different city (or country) is to try the traditional foods. For me in NYC it will be the Lower East Side foods. You might like to have a look at freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/… They also have other food tours and the tours are free (except for the food you want to try), and just tip the guide at the end.

CA
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must have eats

Big Gay Ice Cream East Village. I love the Salty Pimp.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must have eats

Really good Chinese food, preferably Szechuan. A cupcake from Crumbs (my favourite is Happy Birthday but beware the calorie count!). A great burger cooked medium, rather than the grey hockey pucks we get here. Otherwise we like to try new things each time. Our best meal last time was lunch at Nobu during restaurant week, but I also had a great slice of vegetarian pizza for like $1 from a random pizza place on a corner. There are culinary delights everywhere and at every budget :-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,802 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must have eats

This might be helpful

…seriouseats.com/2011/07/12-tourist-spots-in…

Bedford, NH
Level Contributor
113 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must have eats

THIS IS AN EXCELLENT RESOURCE!! Wow. I've just mapped out most of the meals we will have during our trip - this site is fantastic. Thank you NY Whiz. If only I knew how to embed a link in a post, I'd start my own thread with the site you linked above (www.seriouseats.com). It breaks down NYC into neighborhoods and areas and then lists and maps various types of restaurants, food carts, coffee shops, etc that are close by.

Great for anyone planning a trip to NYC that will include eating. Which, I'm fairly sure, describes every reader of the NYC forums here on TA. Thank you NY Whiz! (and hint hint if you could create a new post that has that link embedded and is called something like "great website for locating good eats" It would be big hit!)

9. Re: Must have eats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 05:17