We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer to Metro Hotel, 45 West 35th Street from JFK

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer to Metro Hotel, 45 West 35th Street from JFK

Hi

I am arriving in NYC at JFK around 4pm Sunday 18th August, so hopefully will be clear of immigration/custons/baggage claim within an hour or so.

I am looking for instructions on how to do the transfer to my hotel by train, I appreciate that people have said get the train to Jamaica and then change there etc etc.

Could someone assist and give me specific instructions on how to do this and costs.

Also for the return trip how much time should I allow to get back to the airport?

Thanks in advance for all sensible replies

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer to Metro Hotel, 45 West 35th Street from JFK

Phil

if you follow the instructions posted in this thread it is very close to your hotel, just wall on a bit further and you are there, we stayed opposite last year and it was so easy!

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k58936…

Edited: 04 August 2013, 15:24
Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer to Metro Hotel, 45 West 35th Street from JFK

Old poster Green White and Blue posted these excellent directions for coming out of Penn Station the right side

"To go directly to Seventh and 34th , you want to take the escalator that goes directly up to the street from the LIRR concourse. To find that escalator, find the Long Island Rail Road ticket windows. Next to the first ticket window on the far left is the entrance to a bar/restaurant called Tracks, and a McDonald's is there as well. Stand with your back to Tracks, so that McDonald's is to your right. Directly in front of you you will see a corridor that is decorated on the left side with a tile picture of a fallen column, and that on its right side goes past the entrance to the 1/2/3 subway, and then past a Duane Reade drugstore. That corridor ends in a long escalator that takes you directly to 34th Street, near the corner of Seventh Avenue. "

Then you just walk up a block to W35th and along to your Hotel.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer to Metro Hotel, 45 West 35th Street from JFK

Once you get to Penn Station, exit on 7th Avenue. I find 34th Street busier than 35th, so it's easier to walk north on 7th to 35th Street, then turn right/east and walk along the north side of Macys.

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer to Metro Hotel, 45 West 35th Street from JFK

Thanks - although I'm looking for help on how to do the whole thing from JFK - any ideas?

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer to Metro Hotel, 45 West 35th Street from JFK

Thanks - although I'm looking for help on how to do the whole thing from JFK - any ideas?

Edited: 04 August 2013, 20:30
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,780 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer to Metro Hotel, 45 West 35th Street from JFK

The instructions on this thread, and the linked one, are for getting from JFK to your hotel.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer to Metro Hotel, 45 West 35th Street from JFK

The JFK AirTrain is inside each terminal (or attached to the ones where it isn't actually inside of the terminal). It is very well-marked. You simply follow the signs to the JFK AirTrain.

There are digital displays and audible announcements so you know whether it is a Jamaica train. There are Jamaica trains and there are Howard Beach trains. You want a Jamaica train.

Fare control is handled at Jamaica. There are uniformed people to help at Jamaica.

There are two machines that look different from all the other machines. The two machines I'm speaking of have green trim and have railroad tracks running up and down alongside them. These two machines sell combined JFK AirTrain / Long Island Rail Road tickets.

Weekends are "CityTicket" - even cheaper than weekdays. You'll have the choice of peak, off-peak, and CityTicket. On Sunday you can select "CityTicket" for your destination of "Penn Station"

I think the combined ticket on weekends is something like $9.00 per person. $5.00 for the JFK AirTrain and $4.00 for "CityTicket" so $9.00. On weekdays (Off peak) it is $12.00 ($5.00 + $7.00)

The ticket you get allows you to exit the JFK AirTrain fare control and is what you will present to the uniformed conductor on board the Long Island Rail Road train.

You exit the JFK AirTrain on the mezzanine above the LIRR tracks. There are monitors and usually uniformed police officers with canines. There are also uniformed information people on the platform. Trains to New York Penn usually depart from Tracks, 1, 2, or 3. Generally trains to Long Island are on Tracks 6, 7, and 8. Track 4 and 5 are seldom used on the weekends.

Going back to JFK Airport, leave a full hour before you want to get to JFK Airport even though it should only take 35 - 40 minutes in total.

There are videos on YouTube of how to use the JFK AirTrain - it has pretty visuals and gives you a very good idea of what everything looks like.

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer to Metro Hotel, 45 West 35th Street from JFK

Absolutely brilliant - thank you very much.

Thanks to all respondents.

9. Re: Transfer to Metro Hotel, 45 West 35th Street from JFK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 05:16