We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need some with planning our Oct trip

NC
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
I need some with planning our Oct trip

I need ideas for our hotel location & plans. We are 3 adults, mom, dad, adult child, visiting the Statue of Liberty, ESB, , 911 & more (need to do more reading). Our budget is $400ish per night pre-taxes and I would like to be near the subway but more importantly walking distance to food, drinks, possible parks, nice buildings. Our time is limited to 2.5 days so what else should we try to see, is a tour a good idea for such a short visit? Thanks for any suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Statue of Liberty
Statue of Liberty
35,353 Reviews
New York City, NY
Revolution Rickshaws
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,209 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need some with planning our Oct trip

Hotel prices fluctuate wildy so what,s $400 on one date could be $500 on another. But for maximum space for 3 adults, a suite hotel like the Doubletree Times Square or one of the Affinia hotels would work. There are also hotesl that haev rooms with 2 queen beds like Hilton Times Square, Hilton Garden Inn Times Square and Hampton Inn Times Square North.

Tours are a personal decsion. I think they're a good idea for a short visit.

Onboardtours.com

Freetoursbyfoot.com

Realnewyorktours.com

are all good. In good weather, the Grayline hop on/off buses are very popular. You can also buy a hop/on off ticket from

Nywatertaxi.com

And also get a ticket o the 9/11 Memorial and a bus tour.

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Times Square
Hilton Times Square
7,314 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hilton Garden Inn Times Square
Hilton Garden Inn Times...
7,630 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hampton Inn Manhattan-Times Square North
Hampton Inn...
5,799 Reviews
New York City, NY
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square
DoubleTree Suites by...
8,504 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need some with planning our Oct trip

The Hilton Times Square is one of my favorite hotels (if you don't mind being in the absolute dead center of the busiest and most intense New York City has to offer).

The Hilton Times Square is very nice - the rooms are quite high up and very well sound proofed. It is a very nice hotel and you are steps from virtually every subway (except those along the East Side which you'd access using the Shuttle).

I'd encourage you to plan something non-touristy. Maybe a meal in a residential neighborhood. Being in the heart of tourist everything for your entire visit will sort of defeat some of the more enjoyable aspects of NYC - I always tell people this isn't Disney World and shouldn't be treated as such.

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Times Square
Hilton Times Square
7,314 Reviews
New York City, NY
NC
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I need some with planning our Oct trip

Thanks nywhiz & MoreFFmiles! I will check those hotels and try a tour and neighborhood meal. This forum and expert advice make planning much easier!

4. Re: I need some with planning our Oct trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 06:20