We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC sporting event in October

London, United...
13 posts
Save Topic
NYC sporting event in October

Hi

I want to try to get tickets for a sporting event in October between 27th and 30th.

There will be 3 of us going, ideally we would love a basketball match but we are open to hockey and baseball. Can anyone recomend any good sites to get tickets from besides ticket master that doesn't seem to have any? We would be buying them from England so need a reliable source.

Thanks

Laura

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC sporting event in October

I believe the NBA (basketball) season starts on October 29th, so you might be lucky in getting a home game. I think the schedule gets released tomorrow - no idea when the tickets will go on sale though unfortunately.

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC sporting event in October

Similar story with ice hockey - schedules have been released but individual tickets are not yet on sale. Check ticketmaster for the games you want to attend closer to the time. Another reputable option for sports tickets is Stubhub, which allows fans to resell tickets for games they can't go to, so you might find season ticket holders reselling their tickets for certain games at reasonable prices. Again though these will be cheaper and more readily available closer to the time. At the moment you might see a lot of inflated prices to try and sell to the 'I need to book now so I'll pay anything' crowd.

London, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC sporting event in October

Thanks very much I'll keep checking

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC sporting event in October

Highly unlikely that you will catch a baseball game. Game 7 of the World Series is scheduled to be played no later than Halloween(Oct 31)...scheduled to start on 10/23....and I doubt it will be played in NY...

Edited: 05 August 2013, 14:56
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC sporting event in October

Hi laura

We are in the same boat as you .I.e we go on 28th oct for 4 nights and really want to experience a sporting event. I have checked and there are 2 ice hockey games 28th and 31st both at madison square gardens however the tickets are not on sale yet. We went this time 3yrs ago and I got ice hockey tickets on ticket master I think it was early sept so keep trying . I am hoping from reading an earlier reply that there may be a basketball game too as we'd love to see that.

Heres hoping we're both successful.

Mandy

London, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC sporting event in October

Thanks Mandy we will miss the 31st October one, as it's the day we go home. I'll keep an eye on ticket master then. I did check stubhub for the 28th as suggested above and they do have some tickets but I think i will see how much they are nearer the time.

I'll post if I find anything worth while. But hope you enjoy your trip Mandy

London, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC sporting event in October

There is a basketball match on the 30th at Madison Sqaure gardens it the Knicks vs the Bucks

nba.com/games/20131030/MILNYK/gameinfo.html

Not managed to find any tickets for sale yet.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC sporting event in October

Same I spotted it this morning . Stub hub had tickets but cheapest $101 and on the madison square garden site they sell from $40 so I will hang on till ticketmaster start selling them. There is a new york rangers ice hockey on 28th but thats our first night and in the past with the time difference ive been asleep by ten but it would be ok for you. Thats the game we saw last time and it was fantastic especially singing the U.S natiomal anthem .

Lets hope we both find something

Mandy

Stamford...
Level Contributor
800 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC sporting event in October

Not that it matters in any way, but in case you're interested - in the US we call them games not matches. Football games, baseball games, basketball games, hockey games. And you don't need to say "ice" because we just call it hockey. We do have field hockey, but just plain "hockey" means skating around on ice.

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC sporting event in October

Mandy, those $40 are for Rangers tickets?

Right now, they are just selling season tickets, and the prices for those are on the website.

The Rangers will have some 'cheap seats', but only a limited amount, literally a few rows at the back of the blocks at the end of the arena. And you will have to get in QUICK the day they go on sale. Also, there will be $10-$15 per ticket added on in fees when buying from Ticketmaster as well to take into account. Stubhub prices are the actual prices though - they include the fees, so no nasty surprises!

Hockey at MSG is notoriously expensive these days. But the Rangers do sell out, and can be a bit of a tough ticket to get.