We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

re Day trip out of Manhattan

Surrey
Level Contributor
234 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
re Day trip out of Manhattan

In repsonse to my previous message, i was looking to take a day trip out of Manhattan. I have decided to take the train from Grand Central to Cold Spring for a nice walk and some lunch. If anyone has been would be good to hear, i am in New York 10th to 14th of october 2013.

Thank you!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
784 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: re Day trip out of Manhattan

The train trip from Grand Central to Cold Spring is scenic and enjoyable. Find a seat on the left side of the train on the way north,

I have visited Cold Spring. It is a charming and walkable small town.

If you would like to add another stop to your train trip, you might consider Beacon (and the Dia Art Foundation) or Poughkeepsie (where the Walkway Over The Hudson provides spectacular river views).

http://walkway.org/

http://diabeacon.org/sites/main/beacon

Edited: 07 August 2013, 22:17
Surrey
Level Contributor
234 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: re Day trip out of Manhattan

Ok, thanks, is it an easy to get around poughkeepsie on foot?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,242 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: re Day trip out of Manhattan

To get up to the Walkway from the train station at Poughkeepsie is about a 15 minute walk...pretty straightforward. The walkway is great.

We also went to Dia at Beacon and that was fantastic..great building and interesting contemporary art.

The train ride was the highlight......get there early enough to buy your ticket, find the platform and get a seat on the left.

Another option to consider is this walk suggested to me by a local - Mark ....we didn't do it because the days were too short...but sounds like a great idea for October...

"Catch the metro north train to Irvington or Sleepy Hollow, about 45mins, and walk back south to Dobbs Ferry via the "old Croton Aqueduct trail", a public pathway built on the route of NYC's first means of water supply. The trail traverses through some of the most notable and historic estates, close to NYC, in Westchester county. We would do this 2 mile section, (enough for an 8yr old!), during each season and saw some spectacular changes in foliage as well as fauna such as deer. "

Have a great day..

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,620 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: re Day trip out of Manhattan

I adore Cold Spring - nice small, quaint town right on the Hudson River -

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: re Day trip out of Manhattan

Cold Spring is delightful - very charming.

DIA: Beacon is excellent - very well worth the time. It is very very close to the train station.

The Walkway Over the Hudson has quickly become one of my favorite things. Poughkeepsie itself is not a particularly nice place worth exploring but the walkway is great - easy to walk to from the train.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
497 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: re Day trip out of Manhattan

Hi all....would a day trip in December be feasible? Would there be much to see at that time of year? Jenny, you mentioned the days were too short - were you referring to actual daylight hours or did you have too much to do in a short amount of time? We are going to be there for 2 weeks & so far only have a couple of shows locked in over 2 evenings. Cheers

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: re Day trip out of Manhattan

The trains run year-round. Cold Spring is still there. The Hudson River is still pretty. The museum is still open. It is absolutely still do-able. Scenery is nice. Restaurants are open. Cold Spring is a charming suburban area where people live / commute to and from NYC.

I always find it amusing that you are leaving some of the most beautiful weather of the year in Oz to come here during the weather I dislike the most.

I realize that New York City in December appeals to the Aussies and you love the whole idea of snow and winter but just know that some of us who have lived here all our lives don't share the same enthusiasm about the cold weather. The novelty wears off. I want to go to Sydney in December - I want outta here in December.

I think you'll enjoy your trip to the Hudson Valley in December - it will certainly be a change of scenery from the ferry to Bondi or Manly Beach in December (a ferry ride I wish I could take every December).

8. Re: re Day trip out of Manhattan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 August 2013, 04:06
Edited: 08 August 2013, 04:06
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,242 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: re Day trip out of Manhattan

Hi peegee... We went on Jan 7 this year...great day......but not enough day light hours for Mark's walk as well as the two other things ..museum and walkway...hopevthat clarifies

Love your post Moreffmiles

Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: re Day trip out of Manhattan

We did the trip to Beacon and Cold Spring this past June. We found Beacon to be as dull as dishwater. It seems like a town of hairdressers and realtors but to be fair we didnt go to Dia, although I couldnt see the point of travelling out of Manhattan to visit an art gallery.

Cold Spring was much more inviting. It is very quaint and has nice shops and cafes but won't fill your day, it is quite small and can be easily covered in a couple of hours.