We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to Manhattan Transfer

england
4 posts
Save Topic
JFK to Manhattan Transfer

Hello,

I am flying into JFK on the Sunday 18th September at 3pm. I will be flying on my own and meeting my friend in manhattan at our hotel (Broadway hostel and hotel). I'm a young female in my early 20's with a medium/large case and I'm fine with flying on my own but my concern is getting my way to the hotel not knowing where I'm going as I've never been before :/

I dont want to spend a stupid amount of money as I'm travelling around USA but I want to get there safe.

Please can everyone suggest my best option :)

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK to Manhattan Transfer

You'll be safe

I prefer public transport, i.e airtrain and subway. When i go some place new, these days I use google streetview a lot, so I have some idea of where I'm going ...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s301/New-York-…

https:/…edit

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK to Manhattan Transfer

The fastest public transport method is to take the Airtrain to the LIRR in Jamaica to Penn Station for $14.50. At Penn Station you can get the #1 train uptown to W. 103rd St. & B'way. Or you can take a subway from the Airtrain for $7.50. I am not sure which Airtrain-Subway route (Jamaica or Howard Beach) is the fastest/best for transferring to the #1 train. The Airtrain-subway will take longer and be a bit less comfortable, but you won't need to pay more than one subway fare.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK to Manhattan Transfer

Simply take the JFK AirTrain from right inside your terminal.

Fare control is handled at Jamaica where there are uniformed people to help you.

You can purchase a combined JFK AirTrain / LIRR ticket for $9.00. On weekends, you can select "CityTicket" and you save money. Weekends only. $5.00 for the JFK AirTrain and $4.00 for the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) "CityTicket" The two machines with green trim and railroad tracks running up and down them sell the combined tickets. Hold on to your ticket as the uniformed conductor on board the Long Island Rail Road will collect it.

Long Island Rail Road trains are fast and frequent and mostly above ground except to cross under the East River. Nice view. There are 7 - 8 trains an hour. You exit the JFK AirTrain above the LIRR - elevated - you have a birds eye view of the also elevated LIRR. No dark tunnels - no dark corridors. All bright and cheerful with lots of uniformed people to answer questions.

At NY Penn you can get the uptown 1 train to 103rd or simply take the uptown 2 & 3 express to 96th St. and walk. You'll pay another fare for the subway (the 1, 2 & 3 trains are the subway).

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK to Manhattan Transfer

I guess my route would be:

The Airtrain to Howard Beach (you pay as you exit the Airtrain circuit, about 5$)

Get on the A train and change at Columbus Circle (elevators and escalators available) to the 1 (apparently the 2 and 3 don't stop there ...? They are express trains ... they go quicker as they skip stops, but the difference for your track is minimal)

the white dots mark the express stops:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,904 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK to Manhattan Transfer

Meyem: You're correct, the 2 and 3 trains do not stop at 59th Street/Columbus Circle. It's a local stop on that line, but the 1 does stop there.

There's a quicker route, but it involves an additional subway train change so if you're taking the AirTrain and subway (but not the LIRR) you may not want to bother. In case you did want to use it, you;d take the AirTrain to Jamaica, not Howard Beach. You'd take the E train to 7th Avenue and change for the uptown B or D one stop to 59th Street/Columbus Circle and then get the uptown 1 to 103rd Street.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
122 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK to Manhattan Transfer

personally - i've done both the air train-subway and air train-LIRR combos - with a suitcase, i would advise the LIRR, it's easier and the difference in price is not that great. (I'm in my 50s, and can thankfully handle stairs and the shlepping but there's a lot of both!!).

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK to Manhattan Transfer

I've also done both the LIRR and the subway and found the LIRR a lot less comfortable ...(I'm 55 and I can't think of any stairs in the routes mentioned ....? )

@ Auden, yes 'my' route does give a long travelling time on Hopstop .... I've never been to the Howard Beach stop, actually .... I guess I'd opt for yours, as the hauling of a suitcase through the subway stations don't bother me too much (but I will choose stations with escalators at least ^_^)

> and for that reason, I'd opt to be safe en go to Port Authority with the E, change to the C line that will stop an Columbus Circle ...and so on ....

Edited: 10 August 2013, 21:41
honolulu
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK to Manhattan Transfer

How about free transportation to NYC? Most likely, you will get a unlimited train pass when you are in NYC. Purchase the pass before you go and use it as your first ride to go into the city. It will be included with your train pass so you pay nothing extra. As a person who done this many times, I find it no more of a hassle than other methods of getting into the city. And you may be able to get to the airport for free on your return.

Edited: 12 August 2013, 03:07
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JFK to Manhattan Transfer

you cannot use the unlimited part of the metrocard for the airtrain/subway combo so its not free - the airtrain aspect costs $5

the unlimited pass is a great bargain though

Edited: 12 August 2013, 03:13
New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JFK to Manhattan Transfer

There is a Q.10 bus that connects JFK Airport with the subways. The unlimited ride MetroCard works on the Q.10 bus. You can get to / from both JFK and LaGuardia Airports (and all points within the five boroughs of New York City) for "free" with an unlimited ride MetroCard.

The traditional unlimited ride MetroCard for subways and buses does not cover the $5.00 JFK AirTrain fare.