We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chelsea hotel Starwood points

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,089 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Chelsea hotel Starwood points

We are planning a fall trip and I'm leaning towards Chelsea as where I'd like to stay this time around. We're foodies, enjoy galleries, love walking, I haven't spent time in that neighborhood, and it seems like a fun spot to base ourselves.

After recently buying and renovating a house, we're looking to save money where we can, so thinking of making some "reasonable" sacrifices on hotel quality.

We have a few Starwood points. Enough to get us one free night at some (not all) of the Starwood Manhattan hotels. The most appealing for location are

Four Points by Sheraton Chelsea (can get a King room)

Four Points Soho

Sheraton Tribeca (but non-free nights will probably cost us more)

Any thoughts on whether FP Chelsea is a dismal or reasonably decent choice? I've read reviews, but just wanted forum input (or warnings!). If one of the other hotels is much nicer for some reason, then I'd reconsider.

For context, we're thinking that it will be a 4 day weekend, first weekend of October. Pricey I know, but not quite as pricey as some of the other dates around that time, and it works for other scheduling reasons.

Thanks for any input. Now, I seem to remember Ziggy posting a link his Chelsea restaurant guide. Not sure if I remember that right, but I'll search for it. Or maybe someone can re-post.

Edited: 07 August 2013, 23:30
New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chelsea hotel Starwood points

Early October is still nice and you can sit outside. The neighborhood where the Four Points is is great for dining out. I haven't been inside the hotel - it isn't as new as the other two. The Four Points in Chelsea has probably been there more than 10 years while the other two are maybe less than 5 years old - I don't really know.

I don't love the location of the Four Points SoHo. It isn't bad or anything but it is sort of less charming in the evening and on weekends. Chelsea is more residential. The area around the SoHo location isn't really what I think of when I say SoHo. Yes, "technically" it is SoHo but when I think SoHo I think West Broadway and all the streets that run parallel to West Broadway *east* of Sixth Avenue. I think the hotel is on Varick (7th Avenue)

The Canal St. location is good but I just don't like being right on Canal St.

new york
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chelsea hotel Starwood points

I have stayed at the four points soho village several times. I like the location - no, it's not on a pretty street and the immediate area isn't that interesting but it's only a couple of blocks to the Village which is my favorite area for endless wandering. The rooms are pretty small and cookie cutter like other four points, but I never spend much time in the room to mind. I haven't stayed in the other two.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,853 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chelsea hotel Starwood points

This might be obvious (sorry), but price out each individual night, since prices can vary so much. Then use your points for the most expensive night.

I would also not be averse to changing hotels to save money...I like switching hotels, whole new vacation, and for a $10 cab ride you might be able to max out on some great deals.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,388 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chelsea hotel Starwood points

Building on what others have said, none of these hotels are really in the heart of the neighborhoods they claim to be in, and none are on 'charming' blocks in residential locations.

The TriBeCa location is really right on the TriBeCa/SoHo border, and right on Canal Street, which makes me shudder. But easy to walk from there down into the true heart of TriBeCa or up into SoHo.

The SoHo location is not really in SoHo; it's east of Sixth Avenue, in a bit of a 'no man's land' neighborhood sometimes called Hudson Square. But very easy to walk from that hotel east into SoHo or north into the West Village.

The Chelsea location is technically in Chelsea, but it's the NE corner of Chelsea - 25th Street between 6th & 7th Avenues. The heart of Chelsea is south and west of this hotel. But you can walk into true Chelsea from there, and also into the Flatiron district, and also into Herald Square.

In short, all three would serve you fine (especially if discounted!), but if you're hoping for a cute location right in the heart of one of these neighborhoods...sorry, no.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,089 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chelsea hotel Starwood points

Thanks so much for all of the helpful feedback. It seems like we'll be fine with my first choice of the Chelsea location, and will plan on walking a bit to find the most charming areas. I love the idea of being an 8 min walk to Eataly! The 17 min walk to Chelsea Market isn't bad either!

If someone has a good Chelsea hotel suggestion that is better located, we'd love to hear about it. We might give up the idea of the free night for a very tempting alternative. Preferably $300 ish or under. 10/3-10/7. Queen or King.

We're happy enough with Four Points if nothing else jumps out as a better option. It's about time to pull the trigger and decide!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chelsea hotel Starwood points

Chelsea isn't such a big area that you can't walk to everything very easily from the Four Points. I don't think there is one super amazing option I'd pass on using the points for.

The Four Points is a short walk to The High Line and all the wonderful things in Chelsea.

Chelsea is a fun neighborhood.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chelsea hotel Starwood points

You might want to consider a suite at

Chelsealodge.com

OR

agardeninchelsea.com/AGIC_Website/A_Garden_i…

OR

Chelseapines.com

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chelsea hotel Starwood points

Hey Christnp2:-) You may also want to check the Cash & Points option on the SPG site for your dates on properties! Oftentimes, a free night is 3X the points needed for a C&P;-) You may be able to get 2 or 3 nights on C&P without having to use all the points for a single night! Best.. and enJOY!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,089 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chelsea hotel Starwood points

Well, Whiz Waved her Wand and Wowed us. :-) Yes, she swayed us big time. We'll save the points for some other trip.

We had some flexibility to chose from a few different October weekends and originally tried to get A Garden in Chelsea (lovely!). Alas, the garden studio apartment was not available and the 3rd floor 1 br apartment was just a bit less appealing to our particular priorities and more expensive.

We ended up booking a studio apartment suite at Chelsea Lodge for mid-October. The location looks fabulous and having a kitchen will be wonderful (Chelsea Market here we come!). The pricing was very reasonable and they even have a generous cancellation policy (7 days in advance)

Thank you Whiz! You Wrock. :-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chelsea hotel Starwood points

I hope you like it.;)