We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peak Hour Traffic

Cairns, Australia
14 posts
Save Topic
Peak Hour Traffic

My daughters and I are arriving at JFK at 5pm on a Sunday. I've done a bit of reading regarding peak hour traffic etc, so would I be right in assuming that on a Sunday the 'peak hour' wouldn't be as hectic as during the week, and that by travelling into the city we'd be going against the majority rush?

Also, we fly out of JFK on a Friday at 8am, if I arranged our transport to pick us up 6am would this give enough time? Again, would we be going against the majority traffic?

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peak Hour Traffic

I mean this with all due respect when I say that your question is as vague as me asking you whether I should expect warm weather in Australia. Sort of depends on where I'm going and at what time of year, right?

Sunday at 5:00PM in January? Sunday at 5:00PM in July / August? What's the difference, you ask. Traffic on Sunday afternoon / evenings during our summer months is an absolute nightmare with the masses coming home to NYC from their beach houses on Long Island. January? Hibernation. Very light traffic.

6:00AM transfer for an 8:00AM flight - domestic or international? Lots of luggage? Just carry-on for a quick weekend jaunt to Niagara Falls or a shopping trip to Chicago?

We really need a bit more detail to be able to give you a helpful answer - sorry.

Cairns, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Peak Hour Traffic

Ok sorry, my apologies.

We arrive on the 27th of October, our flight out is on the 1st of November. We'll be going from New York to Orlando, with 2 possibly 3 suitcases. I'll be on my own travelling with my 7 and 10 year old daughters. I'm arranging a town car for both trips.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peak Hour Traffic

Sunday evening traffic eases significantly after the first weekend in September (our Labor Day bank holiday weekend). Summer traffic is at its worst from June through the first weekend in September - the beach traffic. Hamptons and Long Island in general.

Orlando is a domestic / internal flight. JFK is busy but not obscenely busy in the morning. The worst time for JFK Airport is roughly 2:00PM or 3:00PM through to about roughly 8:00PM. Mornings aren't too bad. 6:00AM should give you plenty of time for a Delta or jetBlue flight at JFK to Orlando.

I would strongly recommend arranging the sedan with a reputable company like Dial 7 or All State. Using some fly-by-night outfit you may have found on the internet or received some sort of shady discount for is always a recipe for disaster.

Also bear in mind that regular yellow taxi's are readily accessible and it offers you a bit more flexibility. If you'd prefer to have everything arranged, go ahead and "plan on" Just plan with a reputable company rather than something random.

Please don't hesitate to post further questions and allow the forum to help you in any way you may need.

Cairns, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Peak Hour Traffic

Thank you very much for that information!

Dial 7 is the company I'll be using.

5. Re: Peak Hour Traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 05:18