We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brookyln day during NYC trip

Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Brookyln day during NYC trip

Hi guys!

I've read alot of TA and I know you guys strongly advise against day trips to DC etc etc. I have 10 days in NYC and have done an itinerary in another post ( which everyone seems to have applauded) but have now got a free day.

I was considering exploring Brookyln!!

1.What kinds of things should I visit ?

2. What's Brookyln famous for? Sites/food/ activities...

3. Are there any parts I should steer clear of? ( I know NYers hate that Q but as solo female traveler I still like to ask as with any city I travel)

4. I'm thinking of hiring a bike to explore a bit... Any recommendations? Hire it when I get there or from Manhattan?

Thanks alot :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,130 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brookyln day during NYC trip

Brooklyn Heights is one of my favourite neighbourhoods. It has the promenade with million dollar views of Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge, lots of beautiful old brownstone streets to wander around as well cafes and restaurants.

A little further out is Fort Greene and if your Brooklyn Day will be a Saturday then you could go to the Brooklyn Flea for an hour or two. www.brooklynflea.com/markets/fort-greene/

A little further south is Carroll Gardens, a residential neighbourhood with good cafes and restaurants. The Chocolate Room is on my list to visit ;-) Going even further is Park Slope, another good neighbourhood which BrooklynMel loves to spruik.

All of these places are easily accessible with the subway.

I love your idea of a day in Brooklyn. I'll be doing a similar day on my visit too.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,296 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brookyln day during NYC trip

we took the Q32 across to the Queensboro Plaza from Madison Ave and from there we went on the B62 through Brooklyn to the end of the ride...we stopped at both Greenpoint and Williamsburg and the 'end' is near to Brooklyn Heights.....we walked through that beautiful area and saw the view from the Promenades (and the gorgeous Jane's Carousel) ...we finished off by walking back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge....good day..lots of variety.....

Other ideas... Greenwood Cemetery, Brooklyn Art Museum and The Botanical Gardens....we missed these, but they're 'on the list'

We also went to Carroll Gardens for the day ....The Chocolate Room is great.

Stavanger
Level Contributor
85 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brookyln day during NYC trip

We are going to NYC in October and will be staying in a hotel near Queensborough Plaza. We would like to discover Brooklyn as well, but as my wife does not like travelling underground, we will take the bus a lot. Could you tell me where can we find the bus stop for the B62 at Queensb. Plaza? Our hotel is located a couple of blocks north of the Plaza. Thanks for answering - looking forward to our second visit to NYC.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,296 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brookyln day during NYC trip

Hi nojo6266....

You might find these links useful

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/busbkln2.pdf. This is the notes for Brooklyn buses...for the B62 it says Queen's Plaza South and Jackson Street....We got off the Q32 and were told the stop was in a particular spot....so we stood at the stop and a bus came along and the driver said, that's the wrong stop...and then he drove us to where we needed to be....which was just around a couple of corners...how lovely.

This is the link to all the maps and the notes...buses and subway...

http://web.mta.info/maps/

Have a great time....we loved the buses

Edited: 08 August 2013, 08:20
Stavanger
Level Contributor
85 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brookyln day during NYC trip

Thanks a lot for your informative answer!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brookyln day during NYC trip

Brooklyn is a huge and very diverse borough. The part that most tourists see is right across the Brooklyn Bridge in the adjacent neighborhoods of Brooklyn Heights and DUMBO. The Heights is mostly gorgeous brownstones and the Fruit Tree Streets [Pineapple, Orange, Cranberry] are especially worth seeing - as is the Promenade - after dark it is magical. DUMBO is all industrial chic, along with the great Brooklyn Bridge Park which is continuing to grow.

A short subway or a 45 minute walk away is Park Slope. This is where I live. Another brownstone neighborhood with beautiful houses and amazing shopping on Fifth Ave. Great restaurants abound. Plus, it is right down the hill from Prospect Park, the Botanic Gardens, Grand Army Plaza and the Brooklyn Museum.

Williamsburg is another BK destination. Located only one stop into Brooklyn it features a lively street scene, and tons of restaurants and bars. I love Grand Ferry Park on Grand Street on the South Side. Further out is Brighton Beach/Coney Island. Brighton Beach under the el train is a Russian neighborhood where you would not believe that you are still in America. Coney Island is...well Coney Island.

Fort Greene, Bed Stuy, Carroll Gardens [Smith Street Restaurant Row], Red Hook, Bay Ridge, Flatbush, Midwood, Greenpoint, and various other neighborhoods are also part of Brooklyn. I told you that it is huge.

As for biking - I am the VP of the Five Boro Bike Club. We are always doing rides around the City - and have lots in Brooklyn. A great ride would be to head from The Brooklyn Bridge up through Park Slope and on to Williamsburg. Lots and lots of folks bike in Brooklyn. There are many bike lanes. But it is essential that you do feel comfortable cycling on city streets - and you really should wear a helmet. Many locations rent bikes - the biggest is Bike and Roll. If you are here on a weekend, you can bike for free with the 5BBC. Check out website out www.5bbc.org

Stavanger
Level Contributor
85 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brookyln day during NYC trip

Thanks again for useful info.

CHICAGO
Level Contributor
544 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brookyln day during NYC trip

The Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory

www.brooklynicecreamfactory.com/‎

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,404 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brookyln day during NYC trip

Note that you can get a timetable and a schematic map of each NYC bus line separately. So, for example, for the B62 the link is:

mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b062cur.pdf

The schematic map is at the end. Don't take the timetables too literally because traffic interferes. I think they're more accurate at the start of a route than further on.

I find the easiest way to get to these is just to Google them. So I searched for B62 bus Brooklyn, and this came up as one of the options.

10. Re: Brookyln day during NYC trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 05:18