We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday Ideas for the Girlfriend with an Awkward Birthday!

London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Birthday Ideas for the Girlfriend with an Awkward Birthday!

Me and the other half are going to NYC in September. We will be there for her birthday and will obviously want to celebrate it, however, her birthday is 11th September....

Whilst I am aware this day is clearly (and rightly so!) a day of remembrance and respect, I would still like to celebrate her birthday.

So really I'm after suggestions as to things to do, nothing amazing but still preferably different/unique? We have a pretty busy week planned but the afternoon/evening I've left free on purpose.

I've had a look at Broadway but it is just too expensive unfortunately and things like restaurants we cant really do much about until we are there I guess! We are both early 20s and first timers to NYC.

Thank you in advance for any help!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday Ideas for the Girlfriend with an Awkward Birthday!

"and things like restaurants we cant really do much about until we are there..."

WHY?

Opentable.com

Seriouseats.com

A cruise would be really nice. Look to see if

Goldstar.com

has discounts for any of the sunset cruises.

Sail-ny.com

Shearwatersailing.com

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday Ideas for the Girlfriend with an Awkward Birthday!

Thanks for the help!

Quite like the idea of an evening cruise!

The issue I have with pre-booking restaurants is that things like the reviews are very subjective. Not really a fan of booking somewhere I don't know for an 'occasion' if that makes sense lol!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday Ideas for the Girlfriend with an Awkward Birthday!

Mike

If you let the forum know what sort of restaurants you like then the people here can help and until you eat there you wont know either so I would make use of the resource you have here and they decide if/where you want to book.

You can pre-book quite a few other things and some places you need to pre-book so if you have an idea of your itinerary then you can give details and people will let you know if you can just turn up or you need to pre-book.

Are you both over 21? If not, you will not be served alcohol or be able to enter bars that don't serve food. They are very strict checking ID over in the States, even for people obviously over 21. My son, 2 weeks short of 21 was not allowed to sit in the bar area of our hotel. He had to move a couple of seats along so he was not in the "bar area" to have his soft drink.

There are lots of free activities in New York for you to enjoy. The accommodation is the expensive part of the trip. Where are you staying?

Edited: 08 August 2013, 16:03
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday Ideas for the Girlfriend with an Awkward Birthday!

You're right Broadway is expensive, but don't forget to check TKTS booth in Times Square (and/or South Street Seaport ?) for discount tickets.

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthday Ideas for the Girlfriend with an Awkward Birthday!

Lassie, I am 24 and the other half is 21 and will be 22 so luckily we shouldn't have a problem with the age consent issue (didn't realise they were so strict for alcohol!).

In terms of food preference she dislikes fish/shellfish/spice and is a big fan of old fashioned american steakhouses for example if that helps at all?

We are staying on W 42nd St so we are in a good position geographically. With regards to the day itself (11/09) I believe we are going up the ESB early morning and the rest is the day is free (for me to try and sort something about as a surprise to her, being male means organisation is not my strong point!).

Larry. Do you mean check when we are there or is that something you can do online?

Thanks again.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,082 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birthday Ideas for the Girlfriend with an Awkward Birthday!

If you want to treat the lady to an upscale restaurant or a specific restaurant, you will need to make a reservation. If you are open to experiment, there are plenty of restaurants in the Times Square area to choose from. If you want, you can just wander the streets & check out the menus & peek into the windows until you find something you think you'll like. You'll have plenty of options.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,383 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Birthday Ideas for the Girlfriend with an Awkward Birthday!

The TKTS booths sells substantially discounted (plus a service fee) theater tickets for Broadway and off-broadway the day of the show.

http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

There are 3 booths around town, so you can just stop by and see what they have.

And for bars, carry your photo ID, as some will card anyone who is young looking.

Do NOT eat IN Times Square - head to 9th Avenue (Hell's Kitchen) for better local dining choices.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 16:53
London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Birthday Ideas for the Girlfriend with an Awkward Birthday!

Oh ok so Broadway is feasible if I use these booths, much appreciated!

Oh right ok may be best to look around a bit more for restaurants! Thanks for the warning!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Birthday Ideas for the Girlfriend with an Awkward Birthday!

You could have a look on Menupages.com which allows you to narrow down by area/meal/cuisine, etc then you can read the reviews or even have a note of ones to consider when you are there. I ate at Ruby Tuesdays on a trip a couple of years ago, which will be near where you are staying. We all liked it. It is not for an occasion but good for one of the other nights. There are often long waits so go early or be prepared to wait. You will want to avoid Bubba Gumps on Times Square as they are very seafood orientated. The best thing about there is the view.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,082 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Birthday Ideas for the Girlfriend with an Awkward Birthday!

I should also point out that, in NYC, by law the menus are all posted outside the restaurants so you don't have to even step inside to see food choices or prices.