We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late December in NYC, Magical or Miserable?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
403 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Late December in NYC, Magical or Miserable?

My son loves, LOVES NYC. We spent 10 days in NY in June of 2012 and now he would like to spend NYE in NYC this year. Our plan is to arrive December 26th and leave January 2nd. He would absolutely love to watch the ball drop. Me, not so much. I will be 55 by then, and I just don't see me standing there for hours (without a bathroom break) in the freezing cold. Some of the parties (Bubbas etc) are not an option because my son is only 19.

So here are a few questions:

1: would he be ok going to TS alone on NYE? Are there other options where we can watch the ball drop without me having to stand in the cold for hours (my back and my bladder just won't be able to handle that)

2: I read a few posts on here where locals say December is just not a good time to visit. Too cold, too slushy, too miserable. Are we making a mistake in coming during this time? Can we still enjoy sight-seeing or will it just be too cold to enjoy the many sights? We are from Utah, so we are used to the snow and cold, but sight-seeing in it is a different matter altogether.

3: Tips on what to do during this time?

Would love any input! ♥

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,386 reviews
from US$36.00*
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,759 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late December in NYC, Magical or Miserable?

One never knows what the weather will be. It could be in the upper 30's to even low 40's or it could blizzard. You pays your money & you takes your chances. However, this is not only the city that doesn't sleep, it almost never (never say never) shuts down & there are plenty of indoor activities (performing arts, restaurants shops as well as touristy places that are indoors. You just have to be prepared.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
244 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late December in NYC, Magical or Miserable?

I was in NYC at that exact time a few years ago. We just found the weather cold, not miserable as there was no snow or rain - but of course that's so unpredictable. We enjoyed the weather when we were there.

With regards to watching the ball drop - we did it but had no idea what we were getting ourselves into!! We stood for 9 hours!!! In the cold, with no ability to go to the bathroom. Wouldn't do it again but at least we can say we did do it - we were 22 :) We were a group of four and made friends with people standing around us so your son could definitely do that. Not sure if you know what happens but we got to Times Square in the afternoon then the police started moving us forward and put up fences so pretty much once you're inside the area, you can't return if you leave. It's definitely for younger people, but it did get VERY cold. By the end, my back was aching so much because of being tense from the cold. At the end of the night, it didn't feel like it took us that long to leave the area.

I really don't think you'd enjoy it at all but you're son might. Another option could be for him to return in a couple of years with his friends - then he'd really make some memories :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late December in NYC, Magical or Miserable?

I don't recall the locals saying that. I think December is a terrific time to visit, as the Christmas lights make the city feel very special. You should definitely do a wander of the decorated shop windows, all the way down 5th, from Barneys on Madison, over Bergdorf on 5th, down towards Lord & Taylor past the Bryant Park skating rink and tree, then over to Macy's.

He could go and stand alone in TS for hours if he wanted. By the time midnight hits, I'm sure he will have become friends with the other people who have stood with him for the past 12 hours.

There have been a couple of venues in the past that allowed people under 21. Rosie O'Grady's is one (although this is not that close to the ball drop, the report we had on the forum was very positive, and they went outside at midnight and could see it).

4. Re: Late December in NYC, Magical or Miserable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 06:19