We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Having a Drink in a Bar or Restaurant with under 21's !

Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Having a Drink in a Bar or Restaurant with under 21's !

Hi,

My Wife and I have 3 children (well if you can call them children) ages 16,17 & 19, I know that the drinking age is 21 in the USA and was wondering is it ok to sit in a bar for an evening with them and have a beer or two and get them cokes etc.

Also I know they enforce the over 21 age for a drink rigourously and we will more than likely be asked for I.D. etc for them I don't really want to go carrying Passports around for them everywhere we go so was wondering what forms of I.D. are okay, would there student cards from college be any good ?

Cheers For Help Nick

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,967 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Having a Drink in a Bar or Restaurant with under 21's !

They won't need ID, because they won't be drinking, because they're under 21, right?

You can sit in any pub or restaurant where food is also served. You cannot go to bars which do not serve food.

Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Having a Drink in a Bar or Restaurant with under 21's !

Ok cheers for that thanks.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Having a Drink in a Bar or Restaurant with under 21's !

While bars routinely accept American driver's licenses as acceptable ID, there have been reports that some don't accept overseas ones. Plan to bring your passports.

Edited: 09 August 2013, 12:22
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Having a Drink in a Bar or Restaurant with under 21's !

We were in NYC December 2011 with our 1 1/2 year old daughter (going back this December) and found that if you went to some to pubs off the beaten track there is not an issue with having a couple of drinks. We were in McGees (which is where How I Met Your Mother was based around) and the staff were more than happy to have you in as long as you sat away from the bar.

The other place that you can have a drink without any issue is the food hall at South Street Seaport looking at Brooklyn Bridge.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,804 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Having a Drink in a Bar or Restaurant with under 21's !

Many places will be more accommodating of a baby or toddler than of a teenager, since no one is going to accidentally serve a baby a beer.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,535 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Having a Drink in a Bar or Restaurant with under 21's !

You may not sit AT a bar, any bar, with anyone under 21. You may sit at a table away from the bar at a place that also serves food.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,421 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Having a Drink in a Bar or Restaurant with under 21's !

The reason that ask for ID is so you can prove you are over 21. Since your kids are UNDER 21 they do not need ID. It won't prove a thing. Just be aware that not only can't they be served, they can not drink--so you can not buy for them, nor share your drink with them.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
809 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Having a Drink in a Bar or Restaurant with under 21's !

It doesn't have to be off the beaten track places. Places that serve food are usually fine with families sitting at tables. I would think for kids that age if you're going to sit "for an evening" they'd want some food to pick at rather than just cokes anyway.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,967 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Having a Drink in a Bar or Restaurant with under 21's !

My 7 year old daughter has now been in more than a dozen pubs in New York.

She likes French fries.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Having a Drink in a Bar or Restaurant with under 21's !

Before my son was 21 we took him in pubs all over NYC. As long as food is served and you sit at a table, you'll be fine.